10.2.6 forgets Finder, International settings

robertkowalenko

Registered
Hi everyone.

I love Mac OS X, like all of us do.
But it still has these little UI quirks that OS 9 had long rooted out. E.g., after shut down and restart next morning, my machine sometimes (not always) forgets my personal system level settings , such as: choice of keyboard menu, Date & Time preferences, the width of columns in column view, rarely Microsoft Word X even has to rebuild its font menu.

I've tried the following: deleting and creating new user, reinstalling 10.2.6, rebuilding permissions. What else can I do?
(important P.S.: the problem was identical in 10.2.5).
Anyone had the same problem?

Robert

Probably the best thing to do is to wait it out until Panther comes out. Mac OS X has been out for 3 years now, and if Apple can't get everything running smoothly and correctly, then they probably don't know what they're doing. It's taken a while to get it up to speed, but the next major upgrade should have full support for everything and be optimized to run on less than spectacular hardware.

I had the same thing happen and it was a lack of space on my boot disk. Someone mentioned you should have as least as much free space on yr HD as the amount of RAM you have installed. I got rid of some stuff on my drive and it fixed the problems, try and have at least a gig free if you can. If the actual time on you clock is going (as opposed to just appearance etc.) it could also be a dead battery but it sounds like the same problem I had with free space.

Thanks monktus for the suggestion, but that's not it. (Got 2 GB free)... I think I'm gonna have to take arden's advice?? But I wouldn't be that optimistic regarding the speed of Panther on G3. If past experience is anything to go by, then System Updates will ALWAYS require more resources, and run slower, than their predecessors. (I think the step from 10.0 to 10.1 was sort of an exception to that rule, because 10.0 ran so ridiculously badly on G3s, and they had to do something about that. I don't know if their G3 user base is so much of a priority to Apple-remember, one major rationale of software updates, any software update, is always to try and see if you can get users to buy new hardware...

Arden's advice won't help you. Something is amiss in your system/hardware. I would first start by replacing the clock battery.

By the way, the time on the clock always remains correct.
But, for example, it would forget that I told it to use the 24-hours clock. Etc... this morning, the system forgot that I wanted the English, Danish, and German Keyboards in my Keyboard menu, etc. etc. etc.

Back