10.2 $69 + Tax

twister

Howdy
That's right. I just went to the apple store and entered the education section (i'm a collage student) and ordered 10.2 for $69 + tax.

I feel a little better now. Now i just need to figure out how to keep the mac.com account free. Hummmmmm

Twister :D

I usually go for educational discounts even though they are usually marginal price improvements, but I have noticed one little thing...when i bought my laptop in 9th grade and it said enter student info at the online applestore, all they asked for that was education specific was a student ID no. I just used my ID and gave some random university and it worked!! I think they try to scare you off from buying ed. if you are not ed., but they don't really go check up with the school if you are legit. i mean, who would call up a school after every order and ask someone info like that? I don't know of an office at my school who takes calls like that.
Maybe I should feel guilty, but I can't understand why Apple would only cater to Faculty at K-12 institutions and not students too! :)

I'm confused. My mom is a teacher so she could get Jag for cheaper.

However, I looked at the educational store and there don't seem to be any prices showing up anywhere. Then when I add Jaguar to the shopping cart it shows up as $195 (canadian) instead of the discount price.

What am I doing wrong???

Originally posted by googolplex
I'm confused. My mom is a teacher so she could get Jag for cheaper.

However, I looked at the educational store and there don't seem to be any prices showing up anywhere. Then when I add Jaguar to the shopping cart it shows up as $195 (canadian) instead of the discount price.

What am I doing wrong???

Yes your mom could possibly get jaguar cheaper. Is what i did was go to store.apple.com and click on education in the sub menu. Then it asked me who i was buying for, then what school i went to, then i had to agree i was in school, and then i was in. Click on the jaguar pict and it come up at $69 USD.

And xaqintosh i just meant that i don't want people getting the educational discount if they are not in school. Because apple may find out and then not offer it to anyone.

Twister

Just ordered mine for $69, ofcourse my wife works for Minneapolis Public Schools, so according to their terms, she's eligable.

Brian

Twister: Just to underline your point. I was talking to the Apple rep at the Apple campus outlet at my university (which sells everything it possibly can at academic pricing). She was telling me that Apple is getting real stingy about who it gives academic pricing to. She said she has to fax or mail Apple a photocopy of a student's ID after he/she makes an academic purchase. She also said she's heard word of concern about fraud using Apple's online education store. She really thinks (read: in her opinion) that the setup will change where in order to register for online academic pricing photocopies of student/faculty IDs as well as written verification from your school (like registration for gradware.com).

If this can be taken as truth (there isn't reason for me to think she's lying), it seems Apple already senses concern about fraud with the online academic buying process.

d8n_two

I am so glad someone looked, or else I would have forgotten to check for an educational discount. I am completely eligible for it too, and now I am quite happy to be a college student. $70 is much better than $130.

I'm all for Apple ensuring that they get their money as fraud seems to be all too easy with anonymity given by the Internet.
However, it is my understanding that the primary reasoning behind having lower educational prices is that students can finally afford software they want to use but wouldn't be able to afford. This way, they get accustomed/hooked on it and, thanks to the good pricing they got before, will be repeat, full paying customers after graduation. Besides, the discounts really aren't that huge anyway - new Macs are usually $100 off, software a bit more - but the point is that it keeps both parties happy.

If xaq wants to try Jaguar for less because it's the only way he will be able to use it, then I say go for it! There should be an option for his age group, just like I wanted the exact same option when I was his age. The sooner young'uns among us start using Apple products, the more experience they have when it comes time to use their computers seriously in the workplace.

It is obviously wrong for businesses to try to cheat Apple (or anyone for that matter), but for willing-to-pay-"underage"-students who are not considered "real" customers, long term effects will pay off for Apple, just as they do for college kids.

I am in college and all that and I qualify for the pricing ( I got my powermac cheaper) and I want to buy Jag right now, but will they bill my credit card in a few days or will it not be billed until Jaguar actually ships to me? -Ry

Originally posted by RyanLang
I am in college and all that and I qualify for the pricing ( I got my powermac cheaper) and I want to buy Jag right now, but will they bill my credit card in a few days or will it not be billed until Jaguar actually ships to me? -Ry

I'd call to be sure, but i'm almost positive that they don't charge until the package actually ships.

Twister

Apple does offer discounts for some mid/high school student through a parents program. Parents have the option to get discount pricing. The big but in this is that they have to go to a school that has an Apple purchasing agreement. I agree that they should make it easier for people this age to get academic/discount software, but unfortunately they don't. The point is, it would suck if those who qualify lost their discounts because those who unfortunately don't qualify abuse the system.

d8n_two

On a related note, has anyone ever looked at the Adobe educational discount program?

They offer discounts (~1/2 price) to all teachers and students including K-12 students.

Back