10.2.8 User Capabilities list (Accounts prefs) not listing all applications

Westy

Registered
Mac Os X 10.2

We are at a college and I want to restrict users from running certain applications like iChat, Address Book etc.

Now the Capabilities list (Sys Prefs > Accounts ) doesn't list all the applications on the Mac, for example Ms Excel gets added, but not Ms Word, which I find strange.

I can add things manually but I was wondering if there was a way to scan the drive for all apps and add them to this list?

Failing that I was thinking of moving all the applications to a folder outside of the applications folder that they didn't have access to. Are the any potential problems with doing this?

Are u speaking of setting up multi-users for one Mac, or network admin for several Macs?
You can set permissions from the info pane for your apps. It sounds to me you need to set up group(s), and then allow certain apps to be available to users you put in those groups. Verses setting up several users accounts and configuring each account with certain privileges etc.
As far as moving applications from the application folder, best to my knowledge I would not mess with that, as that may be potentially problematic overall.

The macs are standalone.

There are two accounts on each mac, and Admin and a user. All the students will be using the user.

I want to restrict access on that User account certain apps.

I am doing that using System Preferences > Accounts > (Select User) > Capibilities.

My problem is that the list of application doesn't list all of the applications that are on the MAC. I can still add them to this list, but it's time consuming.

Is there a way to have this list include all applications on the hard disk?

Well, I found a way to do it.

I used finder to search for all files that were applications on the hard disk, and then just draged them into the Capibilities List. I've used windows too long, not used to just drag'n'droppin everything.

I'd still like to know how the list is controlled, or even where the list is stored, but thats a problem for another day.

Back