10.2.9 Freeze…

Chicken

Registered
I have a 3 plus yr old G5 - only a few applications open at the time (Safari, Itunes, Excel)…the thing just froze up - then after 5 minutes, the fan starts to blow real hard. Without knowing the simple commands to restart, I turned off the machine. Turn back on, the machine seems fine…then freezes up again…fan starts to blow hard again…this repeats a couple of times, now to the point, where the machine will turn on, but won't trigger the video monitor…then it stalls for a few minutes and the fan blows hard again. I've been stuck like this for a day now. I've checked connections…unplugged, reconnected…still the same thing.

This happened over a year ago, and after turning off and on a couple of times, the problem somehow went away.

Any diagnosis and solutions would be appreciative.

Thanks
Chicken

Haven't updated OS in a bit, can't remember if it's 10.2 or 10.3 - either way, no way for me to find out 'cause I can't see the screen. Would inserting the install disks help?

Hmmmm,

out-of-control fans can be an indication of a hardware or a software issue. I'd try a "clean install" with the CDs/DVDs that shipped with the G5 to see what happens....

Dean

Ok...when I turn on my machine, it doesn't trigger or recognize the keyboard or video monitor...therefore, I cannot even use the eject button to open the disk tray. Then after 5 min, the fan comes on again...sounds like a maintenance issue?

Back