10.2 and System Freezing

jc658

Registered
Hi,

I recently installed 10.2 (yes, from retail CDs) on my G4 450 MHz AGP. Ever since I have had regular system freezes where the mouse stops moving and the system becomes completely unresponsive. It happens pretty randomly -- moving a window, unhiding an application, printing, etc.

At first I thought it was the Microsoft Mouse drivers or WindowShade X. After removing all system hacks, extra drivers, startup items, etc. it seemed to calm down for a while. But then the crashes started happening again.

At this point my fear is that it's a hardware problem since my only experience with hard crashes and OSX is that it is related to hardware issues. I guess I'm worried that it is related to the Rage Pro 128 video card since it seems to crash doing things that the are drawing-related and I know 10.2 overhauled Quartz drawing.

At the same time, there was no crashing under 10.1, so why would my hardware suddenly be faulty when only the system has been updated? Has anyone else experienced hard system freezes in 10.2? Can you tell me if you resolved the issues, what was causing them, ideas, suggestions, etc?

BTW, I installed 10.2 with a clean installation.

Originally posted by ewhan
If you have Jaguar and a mac with a Rage128 graphics card (such as the earlier slot-loading iMacs) the mac will freeze/crash instantly if a screensaver comes on which involves one picture fading out while another fades in. Examples of such screensaver modules are Forest, Beach, Pictures folder. It's obviously an OpenGL bug.

The mac freezes completely and you have to do a hard reset/reboot to get out of it. Obviously a very serious bug. The exact same thing happens with the SlideShow in iPhoto if you have a Rage128 card, but that bug existed before Jaguar as well.

Changing to another screensaver module is very difficult because the mac crashes when you open the screen effects preference pane before you can click on another module. You need to actually remove the offending module temporarily to prevent the mac crashing, then select another module.

Back