10.2 in August!

twister

Howdy
As found on macnn.com
---

PowerBook G4 users face wait for DVD fix
Joseph Tate reports that Apple has advised customers experiencing difficulty with PowerBook G4 DVD output to wait for the release of Mac OS X 10.2 to remedy video defects. The major Mac OS X update, due out in August, will fix a glitch that causes white areas of DVD movies to appear black when outputted through S-Video, according to an Apple representative. Apple's stance, however, has left some users unhappy with the several-month wait. An Apple support discussion forum thread contains customer accounts of the problem (PowerBook G4 Computers > DVD).

---
Twister

I don't think Jaguar will be released more than a week before the fall equinox. "Late summer" means the last day before fall officially begins--unless Steve says it's coming out in August, I'll still think Sept. :p

Originally posted by homer
I don't think Jaguar will be released more than a week before the fall equinox. "Late summer" means the last day before fall officially begins--unless Steve says it's coming out in August, I'll still think Sept. :p
That's definitely a safe bet considering it was probably just the journalists estimate. :cool:

Rumours however tend to put Jaguar into a *very* interesting MWNY with Final Candidate testing beginning at the end of June. May seem a bit *too* fast - even for Apple - but if you compare the development cycles of Puma and Jaguar, it seems clear that Jaguar is *ahead* of Puma, which was released end of September last year. 6C48 is a build that has the stability of 5G48 (where only a few builds had to happen until the final release of 5G64).

I think it would be *possible* for Apple to release Jaguar at MWNY. I also think that Steve Jobs would *love* to be able to be early with the release. However, they rather test it, 'til it's good. 10.1.5 is a very good, productive system, we *can* wait for Jaguar, although we don't want to.

I was paging through a Mac Magazine (i dont remember which one) at the airport and it said, in an OSX article, that 10.2 would be out before september. BEFORE

sweet!
twister

I too would be surprised to see it before September. Not to start a fight or anything ;) but Apple likes to get all the bugs out and a couple thousand copies off the line before shipping. So unless they are playing the counter rumor game and feeding false late dates in to the mac crowd we will see it in very late August or September.

and Apple might very well surprise us, but I too don't expect it before September. But we should get some sort of date at MWNY in a couple of weeks.

but Apple likes to get all the bugs out and a couple thousand copies off the line before shipping

Actually, Apple can go from Golden Master to having tens of thousands of copies duplicated, printed, boxed and shrinkwrapped in under two weeks. Remember, with OS X 10.0, Apple declared it GM around March 11th 2001, and it was on store shelves in quantity on March 24th.

All reports seem to indicate that it is ahead of schedule, but my gut tell

hmmm...does this mean that a macosx.com member will be waiting for me at Logan Airport in AUgust when I come back from greece with a copy of 10.2 ??? :D (better than that.. I would like steve-o-boy to deliver it ;) )

More info....

from macnn.com:
c|net: Jaguar due in early August?
Apple may ship Jaguar in early August, according to c|net: "The new version, code-named Jaguar and officially known as Mac OS X 10.2, is now expected to ship in early August, barring unforeseen difficulties, said sources familiar with Apple's product strategy. In May, Apple indicated the OS would ship by the end of summer, which many analysts took to mean the end of September or even October."

Twister

I think it's interesting to note that cnet says that Jaguar is officially named "OS X 10.2".

The only thing I really care about now is pricing. I can wait 'til late September for Jaguar, if it comes to that. I'd rather have a non-buggy system and a feature-complete one at that, then a rushed OS.

I was right. According to the Apple store the shipping date is August 24th. But i dont see upgrade info. Hummmm.

Twister

You were right indeed.

I would imagine that there won't be an upgrade price (except for the nominal fee for the up-to-date program). But anyway, who am I to hazard a guess?

Back