10.2 problems and backing up .music library

fiskwhisk

Registered
Hi,

Just updated Mac OS to latest version which went fine until I put in the Application cd which refused to read. I have been on the phone to apple support (very helpful people surprisingly) and they're sending out a replacement disk. In the meantime, however, I'm stuck with an incomplete install. Not only are all the iApps (and IE) non-functional but also all my permissions seem to have gone awry. I can't run Reason anymore because I don't have permission to register it! Is this normal and easy to solve or will t fix itself once I complete the install.

Secondly, I was thinking of reinstalling after wiping the disc but before I do that I need a way to back up my music library, but, finder won't let me just copy the folder across to my firewire hard disk (error -36). I don't fancy reimporting the whole thing again (there are about 2500 songs in it). Is there an easy way to do this or will I have to start from scratch

Do you have an OS 9 CD? if so boot off it. it should give you functionality to copy across to another disk. If this doesn't work with your firewire disk install OS 9 on the same HD and copy from there.

thanks, that worked - i didn't realise that OS9 ignored users specificness and could see the whole drive. Now I just have to wait for the app disk to reinstall - at the moment applications running in x are really unstable, to the point of being almost unusable (mozilla will run for about half an hour before dying). Oh well.

Kieron

Back