10.2 randomly gave me a new resolution...

kommakazi

Hack the Planet!@#
I just installed the security update on my Yosemite tower last night, restarted it, and now for some reason I am able to display a resolution of 1920x1080! I didn't think that was even possible with this stock Rage 128 in this old tower. It doesn't scale well to my 17" Apple Sudio Display, it's good for DVD playback since it's widescreen but thats about it. I just find it weird that suddenly I get a whole new resolution beyond the documented maximum of 1600x1200. Any ideas how/why this happened?

Hate to say this but unless you WANT to kill your monitor prematurely, you might want to scale the resolution down to something it actually supports. There's a max resolution for the video card but also one for the monitor.

Andre

actualy, I've been able to do that resolution from the day I bought my B&W w/ the studio display. Like you, I don't think it looks too pretty but I was amazed by the fact that it would do it. I think it had 8.6 on it when I first purchased it and been through every OS update since then.

I would be surprized if a monitors dies because of a wrong resolution. Maybe not very good for the grafic card (over-heating). But I'm not too afraid for the mintor, it's analogue for old monitors, and they have their own clock on new monitors, so I would say no panic... enjoy the extra pixels !

Back