10.2 unstable

fl0ffy

Registered
After upgrading my TiBook to 10.2 a lot of applications became unstable. Photoshop 7.01, Fetch 4.0.2, M$ Entourage and even the 10.2 mail client are now horribly unstable and will crash at any given time...

Experiences? Suggestions?

cheers,
-flff

Not as drastic, but my mail.app is totally broke for no reason now, can receive but not send.

Stability seems to be the same for me on the whole though.

Your mail problems are probably due to 3rd party plugins or modifications to the original Mail.app. Have you installed GPGMail for instance? Check the docs for how to remove it, or replace it with the new "for jaguar" GPGMail.

Application unstability is usually caused by haxies which aint compatible with jaguar. Check your startup items and remove all such things (or login without running any of them, by holding down shift I think), and see if that does not solve your problems. Most likely, it will. :)

I for my part did a complete reformat when upgrading (just backing it all up of course) and just reinstalled all apps I needed, then put back my mail folders, settings etc. as needed. This worked very well.

I can but agree with egil. I had a lot of problems after upgrading. Everything was very slow also.
A clean install solved all my problems and the beast is running very fast even on my old G4/400 PCI...

Any haxie or similar can cause problems. Norton is notorious for giving trouble etc. etc. etc.
So I recommend the trouble of a clean install. I know it's a pain but it's well worth it. Make sure to back up your docs or better, your entire Home folder (with prefs and all).

If you have any more questions on how/what to back up, please ask.

Ok,

I did a clean install but the problem is still there. It seems like the applications die when I´m selecting an item from a drop down menu in a file dialog... odd, but true. E.g. when selecting save-as type in photoshop or when selecting directory on a ftp-server in fetch...

-flff

In response to the Mail.app "breaking" I think it's a bug somewhere in the system prefs/ or mail.app.

Solution: you have to enter in all your accounts again (it works for me), and if you have a mac.com address, you need to erase the info in the internet prefpane, and enter it all in again (again, works for me, don't know about other people.

I've also had problems with the finder and system "losing" my passwords. For .Mac, every once and a while the finder asks me to reenter my password if i try to access .Mac by pressing shift + command + i. This is annoying; sometimes I have to restart before it works properly. Also, when getting email from the .Mac servers, it will ask for my password randomly. Meh...

10.2 is much better although I did like 10.1.5.

My current problems have calmed down, but I had Sherlock and other apps quiting for no apparent reason, not all the time and not all at once.

My desktop Foilder for OS9 converted itself into a flat file.

What I have done is to boot off of my installation did and use the disk utility to repair the disk, it needed repairing. After fixing the disk problems, so far nothing has happened.

But that was only three days ago.......

Back