10.2: Will we notice the difference?

Tom Head

Registered
So I've preordered Jaguar with slow-boat-from-Hong-Kong shipping, as I imagine other folks have, and have to ask you lucky souls who already have a copy via a new computer purchase, or are reading this at 9:05am tomorrow: What sort of differences are we going to notice when we install Jaguar? Is there a noticeable speed increase? Are there significant interface tweaks?

Cheers,

Tom Head
www.tomhead.net

Cool New Stuff

1) Under Screen Effects (screen saver) there is one called Flurry which is freaking awesome!!!

2) To find a file you don't use sherlock. You use 'Find' so simple and so fast!

3) Not as much bevel on the aqua buttons.

4) New minimize, open, and close animations.

5) Spring loaded folders of course

6) System sounds. But not as much as 9 had.

7) If you connect via modem you get status and time connected in the menu bar. By status i mean a ticker (like news tickers) that scrolls "connecting" "disconnecting"

8) Under "go" there are icons. Don't thin they were there before.

9) I mac "home" button is updated to new iMac

7) Address and Mail overhaul. You'll notice that.

8) New startup screen

That's it so far. Just been playing around for a few hours.

Twsiter

So far, everything is amazingly snappier. One thing broken: canoscan N650U no longer can be found in classic photoshop 5.5 plugin, however, it can be accessed just fine from within OSX using vuescan, which I just downloaded to try.

CONFIGS:
G4/400 Yikes PCI, with newly installed ATI radeon 7000 PCI video card, 1 GIG ram, 3 large drives, non-standard Sony CDrw. This is the lowest end G4 possible.

PROCEDURE:
1. Cloned existing 10.1.5 over to spare 12 gig partition. Inserted OSX install disk 1, and did an update install rather than a clean install. Everything went fine, although install was unbearably long, probably closer to an hour...similar to windows install ...blah.
2. restarted, all settings retained fine, accessed internet, etc. without problem.

OBSERVATIONS:
1. updating the classic partition renders it unusable for the original OSX 10.1.5, so prudence would dictate using a cloned copy of your classic folder.
2. SPEED! weeeeeeedoggies! Now, the question is how much is related to optimizing? Don't know yet, but this is faster than any previous optimizing boost. Mainly explorer and window opening, app opening noticeably faster.
3. Freehand 9 in classic starts INSTANTLY. huge speed gain in classic just in general. So far, haven't checked all classic apps, but they all still work except the previously mentioned canon plug in.
4. Fonts appear to render more clearly. But this could be from the video card upgrade.
5. improvements to calculator is amazing....has advanced feature that shifts to full scientific calculator as well as running a paper tape of computations.
6. Improvements to Mail is good as well, you have separate tabs for the POP server so you can directly manage remotely stored mail...sweet.
7. accounts are now accessible through system prefs.
8. New Cds and DVD prefs pane
9. Default folder, Diobatin and Tinkertool still appear to be functioning.
10. startup disk prefs pane seems improved in both appearance and speed.
11. Address book looks very interesting, haven't played with it yet.
12. Unfortunately, it installs ichat by default, with a suspiciously AIM looking icon. Sure enough, you can use it for AIM. bleh.
13. Epson 740 functions just fine.
14. My internal fujitsu DynaMO 640 works like a charm.
I'll do more testing later....

I guess I'm the only guy who like iChat. I think it's great. Fire took 10% of my CPU time even when it was doing nothing. iChat solves that problem. Luckily, AIM is my main protocol.

I guess the speed is a little better but it's still much slower than the windows notebook I use at work. I guess this is the peak of this 500 iBook's speed. The next OS will probably have more features and it will probably require more hardware.

Sherlock is cool. I never liked it before but now I really do.

The address book is nice. It's not that it does anything I have seen before, it's just fancy and fun.

Mail solves my problem of constantly reminding me that trash and delete folders do not exist on my imap account. However, it has added a problem of checking every account I have even though my work account is only accessable over vpn.

There is a new screensaver, flurry. If you're into that kind of stuff.

Overall, I'm glad I have it. I like my iBook even more. However, I suspect a faster mac would be an even better experience.

Vanguard

if they're charging over $100 for this, can't imagine how much it will cost when there is actually a significant change. (j/k) ;)

I dont use fire :p -- I dont foresee a use for iChat, I already downloaded yahoo and ICQ.

I like 10.2 a lot, its the OS X that will make me switch from OS 9 ;)

I would have liked to see windowshade and folder-tabs make a comeback but maybe in the future.

I absolutely love it!

Admiral

Back