10.22 and CD Mounting

emh_alpha1

Registered
Did anyone ever find a definitive answer to the CD's not mounting on the desktop problem?

My 10.22 isn't mounting CDs on the desktop unless i put the cd in and go into terminal and enter disktool -c 501

they used to mount by default but now they aren't. they don't even automount on startup.

i've checked the finder prefs and show removables on desktop is checked. i've also tried apples suggestion of adding AUTODISKMOUNT=-REMOVABLE- to the hostconfig file.

Any other ideas?

if they don't automount on startup, maybe the amd isn't running at all?

amd is also used for automatically mounting CDs when the OS is already booted, so that could be a reason...

i checked that the automount daemon was running:

PID TT STAT TIME COMMAND
344 ?? Ss 0:00.02 /usr/sbin/automount -f -m /Network/Servers -fstab -m /automount -static

looks okay

disktool -l reports the following:

disktool -l
***Disk Appeared ('disk3',Mountpoint = '', fsType = '', volName = '')
***Disk Appeared ('disk3s1s1',Mountpoint = '', fsType = '', volName = '')
***Disk Appeared ('disk3s1s2',Mountpoint = '', fsType = '', volName = 'Strata 3Dpro 3.7')
***Disk Appeared ('disk3s1',Mountpoint = '', fsType = '', volName = '')
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0s1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0s2 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0s3 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0s4 ***
***Disk Appeared ('disk0s5',Mountpoint = '/Volumes/Enterprise', fsType = 'hfs', volName = 'Enterprise')
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s2 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s3 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s4 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s5 ***
***Disk Appeared ('disk1s6',Mountpoint = '/', fsType = 'hfs', volName = 'Macintosh HD')
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s2 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s3 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s4 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s5 ***
***Disk Appeared ('disk2s6',Mountpoint = '/Volumes/Borg_Cube', fsType = 'hfs', volName = 'Borg_Cube')

so it can see the CD which is Strata Pro 3.7, but there is no mountpoint assigned to it.

if i go disktool -c 501 the disk springs up on the desktop and then disktool -l reports:

disktool -l
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk3 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk3s1s1 ***
***Disk Appeared ('disk3s1s2',Mountpoint = '/Volumes/Strata 3Dpro 3.7', fsType = 'hfs', volName = 'Strata 3Dpro 3.7')
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk3s1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0s1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0s2 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0s3 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0s4 ***
***Disk Appeared ('disk0s5',Mountpoint = '/Volumes/Enterprise', fsType = 'hfs', volName = 'Enterprise')
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s2 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s3 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s4 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk1s5 ***
***Disk Appeared ('disk1s6',Mountpoint = '/', fsType = 'hfs', volName = 'Macintosh HD')
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s2 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s3 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s4 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk2s5 ***
***Disk Appeared ('disk2s6',Mountpoint = '/Volumes/Borg_Cube', fsType = 'hfs', volName = 'Borg_Cube')

Any further suggestions? I've tried wiping all the preferences and rebuilding them, and i've tried the permissions repair in Disk Utility.

My system also shows:

root 193 0.0 0.0 14968 248 ?? Ss Sun02PM 0:02.51 /sbin/autodiskmount -va

... but i'm not that familiar with adm that i could tell you what's wrong with your setup... i'd advise to backup /Users/yourname, /Library/Application\ Support and /Applications - and then do a reinstall. But I know that most people don't like this.

(I personally always think like that: Do I want to spend 2 days on problem solving or 1-2 hours? Depending, of course, how hard the problem is to live with. Yours would certainly make me reinstall by now...)

nah reinstall isn't a viable option - I'm trying to produce a customised build for a Campus-wide installation of Macs on OSX. I don't really want to have to keep starting from scratch - I've already rebuilt 5 times in the course of this exercise, I'd rather expend some effort and figure it out for future reference.

I had a problem earlier with the mouse not moving after starting up and logging in - solved that finally - the permissions were screwed up. were set to group ADMIN(80) rather than WHEEL(0). however, resetting the permissions hasn't solved the CD problem.

It seems to be a problem with all removable media including my external Firewire drive, and iomega Zip disks. None of them mount until i enter:

disktool -c 501

I finally managed to get an error message out - it says:

"no mountable filesystems"

disktool -l shows the devices though. I've tried working through the fsck files in /etc but they claim to be obsolete and no longer used. where are the configuration files for autodiskmount? any ideas anyone?

thanks in advance

okay I think i'm on too something - when the autodiskmount daemon is running it appears that it creates a directory at / called automount. on the mac where it is working okay the automount directory is setup like this:

drwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 512 Dec 6 10:08 automount

on the one that isn't working it is like this:

dr-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 512 Dec 6 10:08 automount

i've tried changing the priveleges but they just revert back again on startup. does anyone have any ideas which files configure autodiskmount daemon, or any idea what file controls the creation of this directory?

thanks in advance

Back