10.3.3 /9.2 Classic saving to NT Server

smogrady

Registered
Hey all,
I have a G4 (10.3.3 & Classic 9.2.2) and a NT 4.0 server with a strange thing happening. When I save to or copy to the server share using SMB the OS!? creates a file with the same name with ._ on the front of it & it's marked as invisible. What the hell are these files? Are they resource forks? If they are, I thought they were gone when X was released.

Notes: The share is created on the server under Windows file sharing & serv for mac, pointing to the same location. Also, when copying to a Win share only thru smb://... it also creates the mystery files

Thanks,
Sean

Are the files called .DS_Store? .DS_Store files are a proprietary file format that Apple uses to keep track of window size, position, icon arrangement, etc. in the Finder and are normally invisible (as are any files that begin with a period). As such, when copied onto a non-OS X volume, these files tend to render themselves visible and can be deleted from the non-OS X volume without consequence. Deleting them from your Finder windows (if you can find them) will return those windows to a default state.

The _.DStore files are there, but there are so few I don't worry or bother. The files take on the same file name as what I am saving, except it adds ._ in front of the name. So test.indd becomes ._test.indd and it is marked "invisible." It happens if I save from the application to the server, or if I save local & copy accross the network.

...I just copied a PDF across, and no ._ file, it doesn't do it with Word either. Do I need Type/Creater codes entered in on the server? Wow, what a blast from the past if I do.

Back