10.3.4 broke my iBook!

Hypernate

McGeek
I got the software update today, and about 89% through the optimization, my screensaver cut in, and it froze to i had to reset.

Now, mail.app wont work, and niether would stickies. But i downloaded the pdate again and installed again, now stickies works, but mail and the volume keys dont

Can someone give me some help?

1. Run Disk Utility > First Aid > Repair Permissions
  2. Boot from an OS X install CD and on the Install menu select Disk Utility > First Aid > Repair Drive
  3. Download the Mac OS X Combined (10.3.4) Update 10.3.4 from here. Be patient it is 79 MB
  4. Run the combo updater
  5. Run Disk Utility > First Aid > Repair Permissions

Nearly the same happened on my ibook. I've read this post (on my PC), and tried disabling the screensaver while it was updating (without pushing the "test screensaver" buttons or anything) I just had the screensaver preferences pane open. The screen immediately went black, the ibook froze and I had to reset it.
Now it seems to hang on the gray Apple Logo (boot up screen) forever without doing anything. Any recommendation, what to do next?

Specs:

Ibook G3 700MHz
ATI Radeon 16MB vram
512MB RAM
20GB HD

Ok, started the mac with cmd(apple) and V to see whats happening.
It stops after:
"network services will be initialized
/etc/rc: line 282: 122 Hangup Systemstarter -gr ${VerboseFlag} ${SaveBoot}
ApplePMUUser-Client::setProperties WakeOnAChange 0"

Maybe it can't initialize the services after this...
Unfortunally I've no second mac to backup my data to. My HFS+ Partition on my second FW HD is to small (only 10GB). The only option is to boot into OS9. Maybe I can backup the data to DVD-RW with toast 5.

Is it possible to preserve my data by simply "overwriting" the current OSX installation with a new one (reinstalling from OSX 10.3 CDs)?

Back