10.3.9 Freezes When...

benshemuel

Registered
Problem:
The computer freezes upon boot almost every time it's first booted on any day. Here's what's funny about it: I can tell 100% of the time that it's going to freeze from the WiFi signal strength meter in the menu bar. If the meter comes up with no bars, the computer freezes.

This is unrelated to the quality of the WiFi connection. I can be two feet away from my WAP and have the computer indicate no signal.

What I've Tried:
Upon the advice of a genuine Apple Genius I wiped the harddrive, reformatted it, reinstalled the OS from the original disks, and reupdated it. It worked flawlessly and never froze, once I did this.

I then reinstalled my apps: MS Office 2004 and Firefox. It seems like that's when the symptom came back.

I'm wondering if the problem is related to some MS-related network function, like the automatic update daemon, or perhaps the software that scours my LAN looking for other instances of Office with the same serial number.

Computer:
PowerBook G4 / 1.33MHz / 256MB RAM
OS 10.3.9

Have you tried trashing either MS Office or Firefox to see which one is definitely causing the problem?

You could also check the "login items" section of the User Accounts part of system preferences and disable either /or at login.

You are probably right though with your guess so it might be worth disabling it.

Back