10.3.9 = Not that big of a step? Huh?

HoZ

The All-Powerful Pie Nazi
I have an iMac G5 First gen

1.8 GHz
160HD
1.25 RAM

running 10.3.6?

well, I downloded the OSX OS update Combined and it slowed my Computer down to a snails pace. It took it like three minutes to boot, And all my Apps where slow also.

I kept it like this for a very long time, and decided to reinstall OS 10.3.6

there was a HUGE increase in speed.

Now, comes my problem...

My AA clan, JKL(http://www.jkl4life.com) wants me to update to 10.3.9 so I can use Teamspeex with them.

But I scared if i do it will be hugely slow again and kill my frames per second and make them dip below 8 FPS. Right now I am getting like 40-60 FPS

I just dont have the capability to backup everything and reinstall if I have to revert back to 10.3.6.

What should I do? And what caused the snail like pace of my coumputer with the update.

What are some possible solutions to this problem?

The initial reboot time is normal. It always takes a few minutes to reboot after installing an update. It should only take that long once.

I have absolutely no idea about the other slowdowns, though. 8 FPS? Sounds like your video card wasn't recognized or something. After updating, did you check Software Update again for any new patches and drivers and stuff? If the patches only apply 10.3.9, then they wouldn't appear until in Software Update after the update. You might want to search Apple's support site for any relevant patches before taking the plunge again.

You could update to Tiger, but thats an expensive fix.

Did you restart twice? It might just be slow on the first time with the new software.
I wonder if something like quartz extreme was disabled with 1.3.9.. or enabled?

Back