10.3.9 Server - Permission problems.

Khama

Registered
I have a OS X 10.3.9 server set up with about 20-25 users. All unique log in's and with the correct groups set up for each department.

The problem I am having is when one of the users creates a new folder in a shared directory, none of the other users can access the new folders files. Cant copy the file or save to the folder.

This is a problem as its for a art department for a newspaper, and the artists all need to be able to share the files.

Doing the "Copy Permissions" to all sub folders works for 1 day, but any new folders created seem to retain the users permissions and not the group permissions.

What am I missing to ensure this doesnt keep occurring?

So, atleast in my 10.4 WGM app (I don't have the 10.3 version installed anymore), there are multiple places to specify your permission set for sharing on your server. Under Access you can set the Owner, Group and Everyone permissions. Then, under Protocols, you can set protocol specific permission sets that will take affect depending on what connection type they use to access the data (SMB, AFP). I think 10.3 had this laid out a little different, where you could specify your permissions here, instead of under Access. You specify if you inherit from the parent folder's permissions or use a standard posix behavior.

Are all your clients set up to connect via the same connection type? Also, check to see what the standard permissions are that you have set up.

Khama said:
What am I missing to ensure this doesnt keep occurring?

How are your permissions propagated. The default method is best, the unix behavior is quite sharp.

Make sure all you art boys are in the same group, normally that should be oke. Also make that group as the owner-group for the disk.

Kees

At a company I work for as a graphic designer, we had a data admin guy create a script that would automatically update permissions every night on the server as "Read Write" for everyone. I could try to find out more and get you in touch with him if you like.

Sounds like the same problem you're having that we were having, though we have 10 artists…

Natobasso said:
Sounds like the same problem you're having that we were having, though we have 10 artists…

The command to update the permissions is chown. Check a file which can be accessed by everyone (with ls -l). Then use chown to set the permissions to the same group and / or user. This might solve your problem.

Good LUck kees

In a pro grapharts capacity,as you are in, and as I am in, I'll answer your emegency question before asking my own. I solved this yesterday by "Get Info" on the HD/Server in question. After replacing power supply to server it relegated Admin to NO Access status. Simply changed status (as Admin) in Get Info so all my people have permissions/access to server. It seemed to simple to be true when I did it, and everthing's (all depts w/ Macs) cool for at least the last 24....Brent

Back