10.3.9 won't boot after security update

tanstaafl_bh

Registered
Anyone else experienced/ing this problem?

After updating the latest security update, she rebooted, and everything was normal until it got to the 'Lodaing the Login scrren' (I'm not sure exactly what the words are), and she said it just sat ther for at least 15 minutes (before she called me). When she rebooted, same thing.

At some point, I think it was after zapping the PRAM but I'm not sure - the problem changed slightly, and now she just gets the greay screen with the apple on it - nothing else.

This is my Moms computer, and she is in Franklin NC (I'm in Atlanta), so I can;t just buzz over to fix it for her.

I've already talked her through zapping the PRAM and resetting the Firmware, no go.

She doesn't have her 10.3 Install discs handy (I think she left them at my sisters - she has the 5-user family pack) here in Atlanta, so she can;t start up on the Install disc and run the Disk Utility. Thats the first thing on my list for her to do.

Her computer has been working flawlessly up until now. It originally came with 10.2 on it, and she upgraded to 10.3 a long time ago (about when 10.3.1 came out), and that upgrade went flawlessly as well.

So, given the above, I'm fairly certain it isn't bad memory or hard drive.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks

Charles

Let's try safe boot for that. When you restart and hear the 'beep' in the start then press shift down until you get to login screen, then release it.

Giaguara said:
Let's try safe boot for that. When you restart and hear the 'beep' in the start then press shift down until you get to login screen, then release it.

Ok, will definitely try that - but - what then? Can you run DiskTools on it when booted in safe mode?

Thanks for the reply...

^^ yes, you can open disk utility or most other repair applications in safe mode.

Safe booting forces a directory check (much like Disk Utility's Repair Function), as well as disabling all unnecessary kernel extensions and allowing only Apple's startup items.

But most utility programs dont depend on third party extenions. Most of them just use OS X's built-in repair functions, actually.

Back