10.3 Back-Up Tool

potter__

Graphic Designer
Quite recently I needed to re-install my OS (only to clean the system). However, I had a spare 30gig drive sitting around (don't ask) and I pondered to myself, "Self, how can I make it so that my laptop is copied onto this 30 gigger." I promise, this is going somewhere. So in my new found quest, I tried several apps including a famous Carbon Copy Cloner aka CCC. Nothing worked, well at least not with 10.3.

I got to thinking about the Disk Image tool and what the new options were. To my suprise there was a tool called "Recover". Me being either the optomistic person or the taking a stupid chance loser tried it with a firewire booted iBook booted into my 2nd gen G4. Sure enough, the drive took about 1.5 hours to copy over, and the new 30gig boots perfectly.

What really got me suprised was how well it did it compared to all those 3rd party apps needed before. Why couldn't anything else be this easy?

Anyway, do with it what you will. I just thought I might let everybody know that this new tool is out there for any purpose you might think of.

Cheers,
(Sorry if this has already been posted)

Even cooler, is that the disk utility is built into the Panther installer Disc. You can then make a complete backup image of any volume, and reversely, Apple Software Restore any image to any volume simply by booting from Disc 1.

Back