10.3 bares its teeth

karavite said:
Ah the good old Brits - they are so logical and rational! :)
Unfortunately Macs over here are just not used. My experience is that there is lot of negative feeling towards Apple. I believe that it has something to do with another British character feature, we don't like to make a fuss or stand out from the crowd. Buying a mac is being different, and that is BAD.
I like being different. You the Apple ad and slogan doesn't have the same effect here...

Muzgal said:
Unfortunately Macs over here are just not used. My experience is that there is lot of negative feeling towards Apple. I believe that it has something to do with another British character feature, we don't like to make a fuss or stand out from the crowd. Buying a mac is being different, and that is BAD.
I like being different. You the Apple ad and slogan doesn't have the same effect here...

I'm Brittish and live in the UK.
I USE Macs all the time, and so do most of my freinds.
I have No negative feeling towards Apple, In fact I think there great
I like to stand out in a crowd, thats why I drive a Chrysler PT Cruiser.

do I Think Different.....or just think American?
Or do I think at all!

Maybe apple should try a diffrent campaign in UK? "Think British - get a mac." :D

A good article though.

Muzgal said:

I haven't really found that either. Macs have always had a strong user base in Britain, I think it's fairly representitive of the market in the US - Apple UK (or Europe, depending on where they decide to have their HQ any given week) have always been strong in creative areas and education. In fact I think the character feature of not wanting to make a fuss that you mentioned is more of an English one than a British one :)

'Think Different' was one of the greatest - and most appropriate, considering the product - advertising campaigns of recent times.

Why on earth it was dropped is a mystery to me. I'm sure it could be resurrected and lose nothing of it's power - playing, as it does, on the mystique and unique character of the Mac.

And it could, in my opinion, be very easily and successfuly employed over here in the UK. People here want to think different - and I believe they're ready - now, more than ever.

Apple needs another campaign like 'Think Different', I agree... But rather than taking it out again, I'd want something different. ;-)

There seems to be a few people here living in that strange TV version of England/Britain where we all have elevenses, play Bridge after dinner and berate the maid if she forgets to iron our cuffs. "I believe that it has something to do with another British character feature, we don't like to make a fuss or stand out from the crowd. Buying a mac is being different, and that is BAD." Eh? Don't get me wrong, I love reading the opinions of others but I couldn't disagree with this statement less.
As a designer I use Macs and they are the favoured choice of designers all over the UK. I also know a lot of people in other professions who use Macs. I agree they're not the majority but where is Apple the majority?

gigapet said:
... I love reading the opinions of others but I couldn't disagree with this statement less....

So you're in total agreement
:D :D :D

Signed
The GRamR Squid :p

Yes. Jonathan Ive rocks. :D

Maybe "Own a piece of the best British design on your work desktop - get a Mac" ? ;) (no comment on how British his designs are, but can't say they wouldn't be pretty!)

Back