10.3: Problem getting access to USB disk with FAT format (brand: qdi europe, 64MB)

schoengeist

Registered
Hi there,

I am having difficulties to get access to my new qdi USB disk (64 MB) --> http://www.qdieurope.com/

My configuration: Powerbook Ti Gigabit Ethernet/667/1GB RAM/OS X 10.3.1

The disk shows up in the finder as two drives. One is 1.4 MB and the other shows some 60MB of free space. Apple's Disk Utility tells me that the 1.4 MB partition is a "USB FlashDisk Floppy Media" which works fine. The other partition (60 MB) is described as a "USB FlashDisk Secure Media" containing a PC programm to get access to the drive.

The card did not come with any Mac software nor does the qdi company website offer any.

Apples Disk Utility does not give me the option to format the 60MB partition in order to get access. Only first aid is offering me the standard check:

- - 8< - - - - - - -
Mounting Disk** /dev/disk4s1
** Phase 1 - Read FAT
** Phase 2 - Check Cluster Chains
** Phase 3 - Checking Directories
** Phase 4 - Checking for Lost Files
1 files, 61542 free (30771 clusters)
- - 8< - - - - - - -

Are there any tools that might be able to format the disk? The finder information window simply tells me that I only have read-rights.

Thank you for your help!
Jan

Hey Jan. I will not switch to german, so ppl can comment my post! ;)
First of all: Welcome to the forum.
Recently a friend of mine brough me a usb memory-stick. We plugged it and everything worked just fine. As far as I recall, some sticks have a switch for lock and unlock. Reading your post gave me the impression you are quite skilled and tried everything that might sound logical so I don't think you missed that switch.
Anyway, did you also format your stick once using the m$ software and try again on your mac?

Hi Zammy-Sam,

thank you for the hint with that tiny switch. Sometimes one misses the obvious, unfortunately it isn't that easy this time - I did see those switches. You are right there are two in fact: one to choose whether one wants to use the stick as a floppy drive to boot a pc or simply as a hard drive. The other is the typical lock/unlock switch. I tried all settings and combinations.

Zammy-Sam said:
Anyway, did you also format your stick once using the m$ software and try again on your mac?

I am not 100% sure what "m$" means but in case you mean the software that came with the stick (win-only): no I did not yet. Probably I have to try that once I get access to some PC. I thought there must be some Mac-only solution.

Thank you so far!
Jan

Hey Jan,
I was checking on versiontracker.com for any tools; but nothing that seemed to be useful. You might want to check on your own, to make sure I am right! ;)
www.versiontracker.com is the best shareware, freeware and update source for macosx IMO (in my opinion).
Ah, m$ means microsoft. ;) You will find out, that we use several "different" terms to describe stuff from pc or ms..
Anyway, I think it would be best to format the stick on a pc with the bundled software and try again on your mac.
Good luck!

Back