10.3 server smb name problems

hackintosh_

Registered
Hi all,

i´ve experienced one major problem with 10.3 server in a mac/pc environment:

when accessing the server via afp everything is ok, all file/folder names are as they should be.
accessing the server via smb, files or folders which names contain "/" or similar are shown wrong, e.g. "cd/dvd software" is shown as "C0QBMR~2"

i´m aware of the problem that "/" divides folders on win boxes but there must be a workaround or patch for that problem!

does anyone has a hint for me?

thnx, hackintosh_

Personally, I try and keep my share names simple and aware of any possible browsing limitations. Things like slashes and character limits can confuse different browsing methods and then confuse your users in turn. You'll also want to keep your SMB share names under 12 characters as well. I know SMB shares off a Win server named over 12 characters wouldn't show up over SMB in OS X, yet would in Windows connections (at least up through the 10.3.5 client), though there is a volume naming limit.

thank you for your answer, personally i use to keep my filenames clean too, because i work a lot with unix/linux boxes, but at this special case it´s a customers server and the folder names are already given.
aren´t there any patches or workarounds exept renaming all folder and files manually (which is nearly impossible regarding the large amount of files)?

thnx, hackintosh (also acdt,acpt)

Personally, I'd explain to the client about the naming conventions and limitations. Best practices are always best practices, you know? I always feel that whatever you do today to avoid using them could break tomorrow and be more trouble than its worth. :)

I'd think that something like this could be scripted. Something that takes in all folders or files and replaces a given character with a different given character.

Which version of OS X Server are you running again?

i´m actually looking for someone who´s good in shellscripting to fix the names, i think that´s the best way, conventions and limitations always have a reason, so the customer should accept them.

If I have time, I could see what I could cook up for you. :)

Going back to my last post, giving users workarounds for improper usage can really burn you in the long run. For example, consider a Windows server with tons of Mac data on it that was copied over using Services for Macintosh....and now, with OS X, you want them all to access the data over SMB, but your users never got into properly naming documents with extensions....

Fun, right? :)

Back