10.3 upgrade questions

jmags

Registered
So I just switched to 10.3 (and am now on 10.3.2) and there were a couple things I was wondering about.

1) When I boot in single-user mode it won't let me run an fsck, which I tend to do periodically just to make myself feel safer. Why is this? Can I override is by using sudo?

2) This is just aesthetic, but is there any way to turn off the rounded highlights in the finder and mail? I've looked all over my prefs for this and haven't turned anything up. Also, even in graphite the finder sidebar hightlights in blue.

Thanks. If I could, perhaps, pursue this further: I got a message "WPM WARNING: couldn't find IOPlatformMonitor" when I ran fsck -f, but it still said the volume appeared OK. Any idea what that might refer to?

I think you're missing a file. This appears to be the source code for this file, if you want to compile it.

Don't know what that warning means, but found this;

So I read up on the IOKit developer docs and I looked at the source code for IOPlatformMonitor in CVS for Darwin (the OS X kernel) to see if I could answer this question reasonably.

IOPlatform monitor is a external monitoring facility made available to IOKit-based drivers in the form a kernel extension. It's primary job is convey the status of various sensors attached to the physical hardware. There are sensors for Power, Temperature, Clamshell state, the cooling fans as well as indicators for CPUs and GPUs.

As a kernel extension, IOPlatform Monitor isn't always loaded and ready for the first driver that requests its services and there appears to be an IOPlatformMonitor for each family of devices in the system like one for USB devices, Firewire devices, etc.

So the messages you see are likely developer warnings within a driver indicating that it had to either create the first instance of the IOPlatform Monitor in its family of devices or forgo IOPlatform monitoring services.

A possible fix to this is a startup strict which walks the kernel extension list and loads a IOPlatform Monitor for each io device family. That would keep the follow-on drivers from complaining or doing without the Monitoring services.

Back