10.4.11 client connect to 10.6 servers Open Directory

ddtburg

Registered
We just got a 10.6 server. We have not been using open directory but would like to start. I can get 10.5 clients to connect to the open directory serve but I don't know how to get 10.4.11 clients to connect.

The 10.6 is on an X server.

The 10.5 clients are on MacBooks.

The 10.4.11 clients are on emacs and iBooks.

Can anyone help me or point me to a thread or sight that shows how to connect 10.4.11 clients to a Open Directory server.

Thanks for your time.

Are you trying to bind to the server? Or are you simply trying to connect to it? That is, are you using Network accounts?

I GOT IT!!! Thanks. Now I have a bigger problem.

Here's what we had:
We had standalone computers that had an admin and student client. Our students would log on to the student side and do their work. We have a standalone server that they go to to save away from the workstation they are on. It was a huge pain if we wanted to make adjustment to the account; printers, software, etc...

We have adobe and microsoft software that we were using under the student side. Now when I log on to the OD side I can't run this software. Can I copy one of the student home folders from a workstation to the server and somehow use it?

Please help.

Thanks

I'm sorry; I'm still confused. Do I understand you correctly when I say that you have workstations with 2 user accounts; an Admin account and a Student account. When students login locally to the machine, they save their work to the server.
If that much is correct...
What is the "OD side?"
What is the error message that it gives you when you try running either Adobe or Microsoft applications?
I don't think you can copy a home folder from the workstation to the server and expect it to work. I think your problem is that the computer isn't using the network account at all. Did you bind these machines to OD and have network accounts for each unique user?

I'm just screwd up LOL.

We want to have an individual's preferences (system and software) follow them from machine to machine. We no longer wish to have just 1 account called STUDENT on each machine.

AH! Ok... You need what is called Mobile User accounts. To do this, make sure that AFP is active, home directories are assigned to the proper network drive and that automounting is enabled for that sharepoint. Make sure that the Mobility preference is set accordingly for each user in Workgroup Manager as well.
It sort of sounds like everything is working except for the applications you need them to use, is that correct? Are there any error messages? Most likely, what comes to mind first, is that these applications attempt to save data to a temporary directory which they do not have access to because by default, they want to save it to the local machine. I'm not sure if this is the issue but let me know if I've understood correctly so far.

I've setup practice accounts on the new server. I can log on as long as I don't assign a home folder. I created a folder called HOMES on the 10.6 hard drive and mapped the home to that folder. After I set a home folder when I try to log in on a 10.4.11 machine I get this error message: "Logging in to the account failed becasue an error occured. The home folder for the user account is located on an AFP or SMB server. When I try logging in from a 10.5 machine I get "Logging in to the account failed becasue an error occured." MAN>>>>>

I don't think you can change the default "save to" location easily. Was this an attempt to have the apps save their temp files elsewhere? If so, like I said, I'm not sure that is the problem.
What is the error message you get when trying to run the Adobe and/or Microsoft applications?
In Workgroup Manager, make sure that the preferences for the users aren't set to manage access to certain applications.

It sounds like you didn't specify the "HOMES" folder as a sharepoint. Be sure that while in Server Admin, under File Sharing, you enable that folder as a Sharepoint and then be sure to enable it as an automount. The Automount checkbox is towards the bottom of the window.

Thanks, that fixed a lot. I'm still experimenting. Can users share a home folder in a workgroup or do I have to make a new home folder for each user? I think I understand that if I want a few students to be able to use program A, B, C I make a group with them as members and set prefs for all of these at once. If I want another group of students to use programs H, I, J then I make another group, etc..... Thanks very much for your help. I hope you check this post from time to time to HELP!!! THANKS AGAIN.

No, users must have their own home directory. And setting up groups in Workgroup Manager have only to do with shared files and folders. It is also relevant for mailing lists when using the email server and other collaborative services. Since you want to manage a users access to applications, that must be done in Workgroup Manager > Preferences on a user by user basis. However, you'll notice towards the bottom of the window that you can save a preset and then apply that preset to multiple users at once. It is a real time-saver.

Back