10.4.3 and iChat!! More tabbed chatting etc.

nietzsche2131

Registered
Well Apple has been busy with updating and what have you. Well I'm still curious if iChat will introduce(finally) tabbed chatting, while adium is a sweet app. I focus more on my aim account then msn or yahoo. Anyhow, this means iChat wins out on many occasions. But did that document sharing featue remain too? Fryke or anybody still have it in these latest builds? Please say yes! If not then oh well maybe 10.4.4?? Thanks macosx.com people!

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510australia.html

What do you mean by document sharing? Are you talking about iChat or 10.4.3? You can send files via iChat (just like you ever could) and share files in the Finder... What exactly do you mean?

I think the name of this thread should be changed, I got excited for a minute thinking 10.4.3 was out :p

Any strong improvments announced in the readme coming with 10.4.3? Or only a general security and bug-fixing update?

Thanks fryke also for the great blog!

Among other things, these have been changed since 10.4.2:

- AFP, SMB/CIFS, NFS and FTP network*file services
- single sign-on authentication and reliable access to LDAP and Active Directory servers
- autologin for managed user accounts
- AirPort and Bluetooth wireless access
- Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, RAW camera support, including updated*ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
- Finder updates including finding on Kind and using Slideshow
- .Mac sync services
- Spotlight indexing and searching*
- disc recording when creating and burning media
- creating and burning disk images using Disk Utility
- Address Book, AppleScript, Automator, Dictionary, Font Book,*iCal, iChat, Mail, Preview, Safari, and Stickies applications
- Dashboard widgets: Address Book, Dictionary, Flight Tracker, Phone Book, Stickies, Unit Converter, and World Clock

So it's nothing about security. (Actually, the previously released security updates are part of the combo updater, so you don't need to separately store those...)

Is it just me, or does it look like they are finaly going to move to Java 1.5 as part of the update? About time too, if you ask me - it has been a huge hinderence for the Mac users at my U, where we use Java, and obviously want to use the newest version.

Java 1.5 was available in preview form since the day Tiger shipped, IIRC. As a download, not with the Tiger DVD.

fryke said:
Java 1.5 was available in preview form since the day Tiger shipped, IIRC. As a download, not with the Tiger DVD.

Yes, but AFAIK not available to the general public, and it still isn't. :(

Veljo said:
I think the name of this thread should be changed, I got excited for a minute thinking 10.4.3 was out :p

Ditto

Also, Fryke, you had suggested in this link that users are recommended to download the combo updater instead of using Software Update? Maybe I read that wrong. Could you clarify?

the "combo updater" is the separately downloadable updater that allows you to go from 10.X.0 to 10.X.y directly. For example, you can install 10.4.0 and then upgrade directly to 10.4.2 or 10.4.3 (once it's out) via that bigger updater. If you have to reinstall 10.4.0 and then download 10.4.1, then 10.4.2, then 10.4.3 through Software Update, that's a drag in my opinion. Also, the combo updaters are often announced to make a "cleaner" update process. (I'm not sure whether that's just an urban Macintosh legend, but it has a point...)

Back