10.4.4 update problem ; how to open CD ROM door

apcaruso

Registered
Hi,

I had bad luck with the update OS-X 10.4.4 on my G4 dual PowerMac. First time I've ever had a problem with an update, actually. In any case I get a core panic message and the computer never boots, and forces me to shut down by holding the power button. I've tried booting into Unix mode with the 'v' option at startup, and into safe mode with the shift key as well as the command+option+p+r reset. Nothing has worked.

I'd like to go back and re-install Tiger from CD. The problem is that I cannot open the CD-ROM/DVD drive door, since I never get far enough into the login to do so. Are there any keystroke commands I can use at start-up to open the door?

Thanks,
Anthony

You can open the tray by holding down your mouse button while restarting. You need a wired mouse to do so. Are you backed up?
I would try to repair your drive using Disk Utility when booted up on your install disk first before an install. Do you need help with that?
DALE

Thanks, Dale, the mouse thing did the trick.

I went ahead and tried a new install, putting me back to 10.4 . I then tried the update again to 10.4.4 and the same problem surfaced. I'll try the disk utility as you suggest and let you know if that works.

Thanks again,
Anthony

I was going to suggest the same thing that jbarley helpfully suggested. You can install that Combo update right over what you have now. Make sure you unplug all USB, except keyboard and mouse, and FireWire, Repair Permissions, install Combo, Repair Permissions and try. Many in various forums feel that repairing Permissions is not needed but it only takes a few minutes and why take the chance?
Post back if you need more help!
Dale

Back