10.4.8 -> 10.4.9 release?

radius

Registered
Hello,

Does anyone know if Apple have any plans to release 10.4.9 updates before the launch of Lepoard or will 10.4.8 be the last Tiger release?

OS X Updates finished as follows:

10.0 - 10.0.4
10.1 - 10.1.5
10.2 - 10.2.8
10.3 - 10.3.9
10.4 - 10.4.8, so far.

make of that what you will. 10.4.11 has never been ruled out as a possiblity, and 10.3.10 was rumoured, i seem to remember. however, there are at least 3 months before leopard.

OS X Updates finished as follows:

10.0 - 10.0.4
10.1 - 10.1.5
10.2 - 10.2.8
10.3 - 10.3.9
10.4 - 10.4.8, so far.

make of that what you will. 10.4.11 has never been ruled out as a possiblity, and 10.3.10 was rumoured, i seem to remember. however, there are at least 3 months before leopard.

Excellent.

Thanks.

I think 10.5 will not be released until March 2007. If you follow OS X releases this is usually the new OS X month. At MWSF this January the only things that you count on is iLife 07 and a detailed 10.5 preview. Also the possible iTV release and more enterprise products. Apple is starting to make waves in the enterprise circles.

Then again, MWSF is rather "un-businessy" when looking at past product introductions by Apple... More the iTV/iPod/iMac/iLife stuff. 10.5 will surely get its big intro (release in March sounds reasonable, but they _could_ make an early splash if they wanted...). But this thread's about 10.4.9 and whether there'll be one. We don't know. There have been no rumours about it yet. No builds seeded AFAIK. 10.4.8's just been released. Any specific problems with it, or why is it you ask?

Then again, MWSF is rather "un-businessy" when looking at past product introductions by Apple... More the iTV/iPod/iMac/iLife stuff. 10.5 will surely get its big intro (release in March sounds reasonable, but they _could_ make an early splash if they wanted...). But this thread's about 10.4.9 and whether there'll be one. We don't know. There have been no rumours about it yet. No builds seeded AFAIK. 10.4.8's just been released. Any specific problems with it, or why is it you ask?

r.e. specifc reason for asking.

It's a rather long story. Trying to standardise a OS Ten build and want to know if we can build around 10.4.8 or will we have to factor in potential changes for 10.4.9 [if there is one]

Seeing as 10.4.8 was only just released, IMO it's likely 10.4.9 will come out around the same time as Leopard as a way of compromising between the two (eg. if Leopard has a new Finder, Tiger may need a 10.4.9 update to help it communicate with future versions or new features).

I think the release date of Leopard depends at least partly on the release of Vista.

that would make sense. it would also make sense that Jobs would reveal all of leopard features after it would be too late for vista to steal, hence a week or so after it shipped, or MWSF.

and yes, the final version of tiger will include compatibility fixes for Leopard, and things like 10.3.9 included safari 1.3, or Safari 2.0 minus-RSS.

As far as I can see, it'll rather be only bug fixes. But if you're developing something around 10.4.8, maybe an ADC membership (Select or Premier) would be helpful to you, as you'd get access to any 10.4.9 information and software seeds - should there actually be another Tiger update (we honestly don't know and can only _assume_ that there'll be another one, because Leopard is still some time away...). Apple's relatively free here. They can issue a separate Safari update for Tiger, if they want to make changes to webkit available to users of the older operating system.

Back