10.4.8 update causing battery problems?

stephgreene

Registered
This might be a major coincidence, but I updated from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 last week on my 15" Titanium, and ever since my battery has only had about 30 minutes of life left in it. In addition, the battery life indicator is totally off: when just running off of battery power (fully charged at 99%), it will indicate that I have something like 15 hours of life left when I only really have 30 minutes. Then it will go from ~90% charged to 0% in an instant. At that point, it will power down and I'll plug it back in. The life indicator will say 0% with ~20 hours remaining until fully charged, and then about 15 minutes later will go from ~5% charged to 99% and the LED light will go from orange to green. Prior to the update I had an average life of about 1 - 1.5 hours from my fully charged battery. Now I have 30 minutes, and no indication of when my battery will finally die!

Is this really unusual? Is my battery maintenance program (I don't know if there is such a thing) just totally off, or is this the actual hardware? I feel like it must be connected to the update because immediately after I updated this became a problem, with no warning. Should I bother getting a new battery, or is this something wrong with the OS?

Back