10.4.8 Upgrade - crash left, right and center

oehm-smith

Registered
Gidday all,

I searched for "10.4.8" and no results were returned which suprised me. I upgraded to 10.4.8 through Software Update 48 hours ago and it has been a disaster. Applications have crashed over and over. I'd better send this soon before Safari crashes again. Mail, Safari, Firefox, iView have so far gone down time and time again.

Can you backgrade to 10.4.7 (instead of upgrade)?

I hope others are fairing better than me.

Cheers,

Brooke

iMac 20" (G4)
standard applications and no new peripherals

Well, there's one thread, really. Searching for numbers doesn't give good results, usually. -> http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=277665 ...

I assume you've updated through Software Update. Stay away from that for OS updates. For now, download the Combo Updater from here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx1048comboupdateppc.html (PowerPC version link). And update to 10.4.8 again. It might solve some problems. If problems persist, repair permissions as a first step. Downgrading is not possible, unless you reinstall OS X and update only to 10.4.7, which I wouldn't recommend, since a clean intallation would easily let you update to 10.4.8 without problems.

'... I upgraded to 10.4.8 through Software Update 48 hours ago and it has been a disaster ...' - that was a mistake. One can / should use 'Software Update' to determine what possible update files are needed; then go to 'Apple Downloads' and download the respective 'update' file(s) installer application(s). With respect to 'MacOS X' updates - always download and install the 'combo' update(s), not the 'update'.

'Can you backgrade to 10.4.7 (instead of upgrade)?'' - yes. Backup - what you can, re-install Tiger, locate and boot from your MacOS X Tiger install disc, and (once again) begin the update process. This is another reason for downloading (and archiving) all the related update installers.

-----

Prior to installing any update - boot from the 'MacOS X Tiger Install' disc, and perform a 'Repair Disk' and 'Repair Disk Permissions' - via the disc's 'Disk Utility' application.
After the installation process(es), from the boot drive itself - perform 'Repair Disk Permissions' (at least twice) - via the boot drives' 'Disk Utility' application (in the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder).

Back