10.4 and virtual pc 7

bigdoug

Registered
i was just wondering if anyone had any problems or heard of any with vpc 7 and 10.4? i have 10.3 now with vpc 7 and i'm thinking of upgrading but i dont want to not be able to use vpc 7.

From what I've heard (and experienced), VPC 7 just doesn't work in Tiger. When I tried to boot Windows 98, I got the startup screen, but it quickly turned into a console-output screen with a bunch of garbage characters, followed quickly be an utter lockup. Happened repeatedly.

VPC 6 works fine for me, though, and I've heard reports that VPC 5 works, as well. (Edit: I see you're on a G5, though, so I guess that doesn't do you any good. :( )

I'm not absolutely sure if the problem with VPC 7 is inherent to Tiger, but I know a lot of people are having issues.

Installing the 7.0.1 patch from Microsoft seems to fix this issue. It went away for me after I installed the patch

Mikuro said:
From what I've heard (and experienced), VPC 7 just doesn't work in Tiger. When I tried to boot Windows 98, I got the startup screen, but it quickly turned into a console-output screen with a bunch of garbage characters, followed quickly be an utter lockup. Happened repeatedly.

VPC 6 works fine for me, though, and I've heard reports that VPC 5 works, as well. (Edit: I see you're on a G5, though, so I guess that doesn't do you any good. :( )

I'm not absolutely sure if the problem with VPC 7 is inherent to Tiger, but I know a lot of people are having issues.
Captain Code is correct. VP7 works just fine on MacOS X 10.4.1 with the exception of the Virtual Switch. However, this is not a problem because VP7 will allow networking via shared IP. tapjpa is mistaken. VPC 7.0.1 does not address the Virtual Switch issue. However, the Virtual Switch issue has virtually no consequences. Pardon the pun.

That's not really a pun, though. ;) Still: Microsoft has already stated that some update to fix Tiger issues is in the making. No release date AFAIK.

perfessor101 said:
I saw three to four months after the Tiger release quoted from Microsoft. But that is second hand information.
IIRC, it was two months. However, there is no excuse for the delay. It seems like Microsoft is returning to pre-Word 5.0 mode when every update of the Macintosh System required an update to Microsoft Word.

I still can't get over the fact that there's some valid reason to run windows [anything] on your mac.

If it won't compile in *nix and it doesn't have an OSX build, it aint worth your time.

jzdziarski said:
I still can't get over the fact that there's some valid reason to run windows [anything] on your mac.

If it won't compile in *nix and it doesn't have an OSX build, it aint worth your time.

Maybe in a perfect world that would be true. But we aren't there yet.

I have been changing all my company computers to Macs. The only snag has been my computer (20" iMac G5) and my accounting software. There isn't a good OSX accounting package that I have been able to find for our size business. The only solution has been to run our current software under VPC. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction until software makers see the light.

A computer is just a tool to get a job done. If it's a job that *has* to get done, and done right, don't limit yourself with personal bias. You'll only hurt yourself.

jzdziarski said:

My dad uses software for radiant floor heating design and sizing which is only available for windows.

Back