10.4 just HANGS at Start-up!

Loudnoize ent.

Registered
Can anyone please help. I've clean install 10.4 on a separate 20 gig drive on one of my internal drives and everything went fine. When I re-booted, the system seems to hang right at the "Starting Mac Os X" window and that's it. It doesn't seem to crash but doesn't do anything else. I've waited 10 minutes and after a few trys, I went back to 10.3.9. :(

Any explanation would certainly help. Thanks.

Chris

Just try installing again? Something obviously went wrong... Look at all the options it gives you, too...

Hey Fryke, I did but no go. I had a ATTO card attached as well and from what I read, this can cause an issue. Took it out but I still can't boot from 10.4... Back to the drawing board.:(

Loudnoize ent. said:
Any explanation would certainly help.

I assume your system qualifies. Here are the basic requirements:

Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
Built-in FireWire
256MB of RAM
3GB of available hard disk space (4GB if you install the developer tools)

And, what installation method did you use? Maybe another would work better for you.

MacFixIt.com has a number of instructions for troubleshooting startup and shutdown hangs. I found that my shutdown hang was due to faulty startup items. Maybe you will find some help there.

My G5 has hung twice, both times on restart... Instead of going to the slightly gray screen with the whizzy thing on it, it goes to a dark blue one... If I leave it, it sits happily forever, just spinning around.

I had to press the power key, give it a minute, and then turn it back on. It's worked both times, although it's obviously not ideal!

Something for 10.4.1, perhaps?! ;)

Back