10.4. NetInstall problems

gandalf01

Registered
Hi,

I have an OSX 10.4 server that I am attempting to use to deploy NetInstall images.
I want to update some OSX 10.3.x Macs that are on our network so I have created a NetInstall image from the OSX 10.4 Tiger DVD using System Image Utility. Then I planned to Netboot these 10.3 Macs using the 10.4 NetInstall image when I would have hoped would then push the 10.4 image out to the OSX 10.3 Macs.
The Macs see the 10.4 netinstall image as an available startup system but when I select it the Mac just sits there with the spinning 'gear' and gets no further.
I'm not sure if it is actually working or not, it certainly does not look like it!
When this is happening my network seems to grind to a halt and my users on the network have problems connecting to other servers and also browsing network shares (on other servers).

Someone mentioned to me that perhaps the server si multicasting shich is flooding the network ?
So, have 2 issues here; one where the client Mac does not get past the spinning 'gear' on the grey screen after selecting the NetInstall image to boot from and also the network slowing right down, grinding to a halt!

Can anyone help with this please ? Thankyou.

I'm having the same problem on my end and it's driving me batty. I can't use NetBoot because we need to keep stateful images through a reboot cycle, so NetInstall seems to be our only option. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Hate to say it but I'm having similar issues. I'm using 10.3 still and the clients recognise the startup but will not boot from it! :( Was hoping the new version would solve this but maybe not....help????

Well, I've been able to get my NetInstall issue working with some caveats. In troubleshooting my problem, I booted the client in verbose mode (by holding down the "v" key during startup). At the point where the commands stopped whizzing by, there was some mention of NFS problems. This led me back to the server where I discovered that I didn't have NFS sharing started properly in Server Admin, and didn't have NFS sharing set up for my image sharepoint. One problem solved.

I ran into other problems with my setup that led me to use Mike Bombich's NetRestore (www.bombich.com). There are some good tutorials on his site, and my setup is now working without a hitch. My next step will be to figure out how to get everything working without me having to be in the lab.

Back