10.4 server and 10.5 client

pedz

Registered
I have one client that my server "serves". I just replaced the hard drive and installed 10.5 on it. (So, my server is at 10.4 but the client is at 10.5).

I'm trying to get so I can log in. I figured out how to get the client to see the LDAP (or Open Directory). The machine is now "managed". I can tell because the log in screen has my own message on it. When I type in my user name and password, it finds it but then it says that there has been an error.

So, its almost working but not quite.

Anyone seen this before? I guess my real question is, can a 10.5 client work from a 10.4 Open Directory server? (Seems like it should be able to.)

I can't remember exactly what I changed on the server. I believe it was that I changed the authentication method from kerberos to any. That seemed to solve my issue.

I never think to look at the log files. I guess I should.

That would indicate that your Open Directory may have an issue. If you are using Open Directory domain logins, you should have a working KDC, unless you disabled it or misconfigured it at setup. If you login with an OD account and attempt to access an AFP server that's part of the same OD domain and find changing the authentication method "fixes" it, odds are, you have a busted Kerberos installation.

Are the clients getting a tgt at login from the kdc?

Michael

The main problem I have found with trying to use 10.4 directory with 10.4 users and 10.5 users is that the home has to be "Network/My Network/<servername>/Users/<short username>" on 10.4 and "Network/<servername>/Users/<short username>" on 10.5. So if you login using 10.5 but your account's home is setup using the 10.4 home network setup the 10.5 login screen gives you the error your user home is located somewhere AND vice versa. Cause in 10.5 the "My Network" under Network is gone.

So...

Anyone know how to make them work in harmony, no switching needed?

No need to...

I tried logging in thinking that 10.5 my still have "/Network/My Network" still hanging around in the attic and it does. Even though you can't find the "/Network/My Network" in the finder in 10.5 but on 10.4, if you use the path "Network/My Network/<servername>/Users/<short username>" it works in 10.5 and 10.4. No switching needed back and forth from Workgroup manager.

Awesome I think.

Back