10.4 Tiger issues - PLEASE HELP

guzmacedmc

Registered
I have 3 issues since I have upgraded some users to Tiger 10.4 and I have found no answers in knowledgebases. Hopefully someone will know!

1) Since the upgrade, when users open WORD in office 2004,word automatically runs a scan of all fonts which the users say takes 20 minutes. Is there a way to stop this?

2) Since the 10.4 upgrade, adobe acrobat 6 opens acrobat files in preview only. Any way to change this?

3) finally users can no longer cut from illustrator and paste into photshop.

If you know any ansers this would be greatly appreciated!

word automatically runs a scan of all fonts
Remove unused fonts.

2) Since the 10.4 upgrade, adobe acrobat 6 opens acrobat files in preview only. Any way to change this?
Are you certain it's not Acrobat Reader instead. Look for Acrobat Reader and trash it if found.

Thanks for the words of advice.

What is the best way you recommend removing fonts? Do you think there is some setting in word that needs to be 'switched' off to stop the automatic scan'?

Concerning adobe - do you think uninstalling and reinstalling acrobat 6 or upgrading would also solve the issue?

I had the copy/paste problem with Tiger and solved it by trashing the preference files for Photoshop and the other Adobe CS apps...

If I'm reading your original post right, it seems that you want PDF files to get opened by Acrobat 6 by default, not Preview. If Acrobat 6 is installed on your machine, you should be able to do this:

1. Right-click or control-click a PDF file.
2. In the contextual menu, choose "Get Info".
3. Expand the "Open with:" section in the pop-up window.
4. Choose Acrobat 6 from the applications pull-down menu in that list.
5. Click the "Change All..." button, and confirm with the resulting dialog box that you want to do this.

That should re-associated all PDF files with Acrobat 6.

adobe acrobat 6 opens acrobat files in preview only
This is why I object so strongly when people can't be bothered to punctuate correctly. There's a BIG difference between "preview" and "Preview" (the application). The incorrect typing threw me completely.

Well done "Billbaloney" for translating what he wrote into what he thought he wrote! ;)

Tip for the partially-educated: a name, in English, should begin with a capital letter.

That's a capitalization problem, strictly speaking, not a punctuation problem.

I'm not faulting anyone for bad writing, just trying to hone in on the problem. Having been a member of this forum for well over five years now, I've found that the best way to help people is to hold your criticisms in check, and try to get to the problem itself.

But yes, guzmacedmc, in the future your posts may get better responses, and those responses may come more quickly, if you make sure words for things like applications are properly written and capitalized -- the post becomes easier to scan and understand.

Hell yeah! I only just *now* noticed that... Although he *couldn't* have meant that Acrobat 6 is opening files in Preview, right? Because that'd be like, erh, like my neighbour inviting me to _his_ neighbour's house or something. :p

Either way - I'd really go this route for everything: Get rid of everything Adobe you can find (Adobe preferences in "~Library/Preferences", too as well as stuff in "/Library/Application Support" and "/System/Library/Application Support", although ONLY stuff related to Adobe, of course...). Then reinstall all Adobe apps and see how't goes. Of course, you'll lose all settings.

Yeah. You know what, guzmacedmc? Before you take any of our advice, please post back exactly what your problem is related to Adobe Acrobat. Just so we all know what's going on.

I tried this. After Step 4, the document opened in Adobe Acrobat. I did not get any further dialog boxes. Pdfs still default to opens the same way.

Back to the problem of fonts in Microsoft Office, if you find, then delete 'FontCacheTool', it stops Microsoft office from finding and reporting on the 'so-called' corrupt fonts. It should stop it from 'checking' your fonts when the application starts up too and it won't be constantly checking it's own database records of the fonts anymore.

guzmacedmc said:
The main issue is the when the user opens acrobat files, it opens in the application Premiere.
I'm not familiar with Adobe Premiere but you can set the application that opens a particular type of file by accessing its "Get Info" window.

Back