10.5.4 File Permissions + Read Only

vesk

Registered
Hi,

I have replaced our old Xserve with a new 10.5.4 box, we have a large amount of storage attached via SCSI raid enclosure which is shared out via numerous Sharepoints.
I have created users and groups and applied the permissions as read/write as needed.
However when a user creates new folders with work enclosed the inherit permissions are ignored (read/write) and the new folder and contents are created with read only for all bar the creator.
At the moment I am having to manually amend the permissions via get info.

We do not use Open Directory and the Serve is in a simple workgroup but I cant see why the new folders arent inheriting the permissions of the destination drive. This is also the case on the local drive shares as well as from the SCSI raid enclosure .

Answers more than welcome,

Thanks

Users on Xserve are set to Read Only on other users files automatically. Change this default in Xserve accounts management and you're golden.

I'm running Xserve 10.4.11, using ACLs and have the same issue where anytime a new file is created it has Read-Only permissions for everyone except the author. I've followed and read the 3 links listed above but did not see where exactly the option was that is superceding the ACLs. Can anyone help?

You have to turn on ACLs for this to work correctly, as you can no-longer turn on inherit permissions from parent to my knowledge like you could in 10.4.x

Also until 10.5.5 came out SMB permissions also failed to work correctly, giving you the same problem you mentioned in your post.

Back