10.5.5 update won't download

tonym911

Registered
The OSX 10.5.5 Software Update won't download or install to my MacBookPro. The error message tells me that it can't be saved and that I 'do not have appropriate access privileges. The Installer package has been moved to the Trash. To try again, open the package from the Finder.'
The access privileges point is a bit odd as I am the owner and sole user of this MacBook. There is no sign of the Installer in the Trash so I can't get it from there. Any ideas? Thanks and best wishes Tony

Hello tonym911 :)

I'd Repair Permissions using Disc Utility (Apps ~> Utilities ~> Disc Utility), reboot then try again ... do you have plenty of free space on your MBP's drive?

If Software Update fails the second time, try downloading the combo update from Apple's own website:

10.5.5 Combo Update here

Doing it this way doesn't involve Software Update and may just work. The download is 601 MB FWIW ...

Hi VirtualTracy, many thanks for this. Remarkably (for me) I had the same idea about downloading it direct from Apple, and that did indeed work. It was nearly 900MB in fact!! Wow. Thanks again. Best wishes Tony

Back