10.5 Finder's Tabbed Browsing

Veljo

Mac Enthusiast
Not sure if this has been already posted in the past or not, but did anyone know that the Finder in Leopard will have tabbed browsing? I've seen a movie and some screenshots of it, but I haven't posted them here in case there were legal issues. Still cool nonetheless.

Hmmm... interesting twist on the Finder... assuming one would be able to drag from a window up to a tab, down to another folder.... this could be quite useful... :D

Yo, yo. Check it. (Not from my blog though! :) )

leopard_img01.0.png

Ooh, did you check out the other things? Look at the icons in the dock... it looks like the address book and calendar are combined into one super-app!... or something.

And... is that... Internet Explorer in the dock? wtf?

Qion said:
That would definitely be better than multiple-layer windows.
Your "screenshot" has been acknowledged to be a fake. The OP, however, is taking about a movie, not faked screenshots. I have seen the movie. Aside from the Finder tabs, the visible changes are subtle. For instance, there is no claim of native Windows support in the Finder.

It was online, i got a link via rss, but they guy ran out of bandwidth so i didn't manage to see it. From reading the comments it was short and low quality though, and lots of people were saying it was a fake.

The clip is mentioned here.

macrumors.com article - http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060628222147.shtml - has three mirrors for the video. Looks real to me. At least on first glance, I see nothing giving away a fake. Then again, this is not soooooooo big news. We all expected the "metal" interface to become the next Brushed Metal, and tabs are en vogue and make sense in Finder windows, I guess.

Cheers Fryke! yeah, they don't look fake to me, but who knows. I love tabs in browsers but I''ve yet to see how it works in the finder, they'll have to have implemented the drag and drop between them very very well for it to be useful.

PS- congrats on passing 10k posts, at this rate your personal count will soon surpass the total word association post count. :)

The screenshots scare the bejesus out of me, for one simple reason: the upper-right tic-tac widget to turn off that godforsaken toolbar is missing. So I'm glad it's fake. The video doesn't show that part of the screen, though.

I hope they let you save sets of tabs. It'd be nice to open my apps folder and have all the sub-folders I use for sorting available as tabs.

I've wanted tabbed folders (not the same as tabbed windows, which can contain any number of different folders) since OS 8. Looks like I still won't get them, but I guess that's okay.

I have to admit, though, I'm scared at the very idea. Not because I don't think it's a great idea; I do. It's just that ever since OS X first came out, Apple has had a habit of taking great ideas, implementing them badly, and using them to replace things for which they're not suitable replacements. Basically, Apple's lost my faith. Spotlight was the final nail in that coffin.

(I was about to say "and why is Safari now Aqua", and then I realized it's not Safari, but Internet Explorer. WTH?!? Edit: Oh, it's supposed to be the Windows version. Cute. Obviously fake, but cute. I didn't realize before because macosx.com crops it off and doesn't let me scroll.)

Hm. :) I'm actually a little intimidated by the number of my post-count. I guess I have to limit myself to only spend 23 hours a day on macosx.com from now on.

And: I agree, drag/drop between tabs would be a must. But I guess they wouldn't add tabs without that. I'm looking forward to my one-window Finder. Then again, I'm already using mostly one window nowadays. And this makes me wonder whether a fullscreen Finder with tabs wouldn't be a better/cleaner idea. Certainly it would be entirely different to the Finder of old (i.e. classic Mac OS) and would prevent us from using nice desktop pictures, but it would make some sense for users who like the approach of only using one window, anyway.

(That IE on the screenshot was about virtualization. There's signs of Windows/BootCamp all over the place in those fake screenshots.)

On the drag and drop, i agree it will be there, but its about how its implemented. How fiddly is it to drag a file to a non-sleecvted tab, how long hovering over before the other tab comes to the front. Finder windows now behave very well in later versions of OS X, sliding around to accessible places then moving back to where you left them, I hope the tab system comes out as polished.

Also, how will expose work with tabs, will expose consider a multitab window a single object, or will ti do the tab-expose splititgn thing from the Shiira browser? I have many quastions, I gues sI'll just have to wait like everyoen else.

One last thing, if they do decide to make more bold UI changes for the finder, I'd actually prefer they become more bold. Go fora Jef Raskin inspired zooming interface or something like that. I know its unrealistic but I'd really like someone to break out of the standard interface paradigms in a non beta, effective way.

The hovering time would be set in the spring-load feature in Finder, I guess... It's the same feature, after all. Exposé would behave as with a Safari window, i.e. a window with tabs is _one_ window. Anything else would be a veeeeery wild ride.

Mikuro said:
I have to admit, though, I'm scared at the very idea. Not because I don't think it's a great idea; I do. It's just that ever since OS X first came out, Apple has had a habit of taking great ideas, implementing them badly, and using them to replace things for which they're not suitable replacements. Basically, Apple's lost my faith. Spotlight was the final nail in that coffin.
You know, for all the whining I read about this or that feature/non feature in the Finder you'd think that people spend all their time, most of their day, messing around in the finder to the exclusion of all other things.

The underlying technology of SpotLight is very good and if you want to have a look at a very nice alternative front end for it have a look at NotLight.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20543

edit: or SpotLaser which I don't like quite as much although it's spiffier.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20042

I think I've said it a thousand times before, but if Spotlight doesn't let me search for a file by its name without also showing me a thousand other results based on the files' contents, it's not really a good file-search engine for me. It would be soooooooooooo easy to let users decide whether content or filenames are more important to them. Spotlight _does_ have a prefpane...

fryke said:
I think I've said it a thousand times before, but if Spotlight doesn't let me search for a file by its name without also showing me a thousand other results based on the files' contents, it's not really a good file-search engine for me. It would be soooooooooooo easy to let users decide whether content or filenames are more important to them. Spotlight _does_ have a prefpane...
Hence NotLight.

Very lean front end for tapping into the SpotLight database. Define the criteria as tightly as you like.

But the bones and the real complexity come from the SpotLight core. You can even define and save your own search methods.

Back