10.5 Finder's Tabbed Browsing

ora said:
One last thing, if they do decide to make more bold UI changes for the finder, I'd actually prefer they become more bold. Go fora Jef Raskin inspired zooming interface or something like that. I know its unrealistic but I'd really like someone to break out of the standard interface paradigms in a non beta, effective way.

Absolutely. I'm glad I'm not alone when my heart cries out for a redesign and a step out of the standard interface box. I was honestly a bit disappointed when I first fired up Tiger, if not purely for creative lack of change. I'd like to see something revolutionary with Leopard's Finder.

finder windows dont need tabs.

what happens if you have two finder window opens with the same tabs somewhere on each? think about it... even today finder windows won't auto-refresh if you change something in one window - whilst the other is open. I hold no hope that tabs would fix this, they would only complicate it!

here's where i think tabs are long overdue... itms! i hate moving selecting a band and then having to go back to the genre, selecting another and so on...

Qion said:
Absolutely. I'm glad I'm not alone when my heart cries out for a redesign and a step out of the standard interface box. I was honestly a bit disappointed when I first fired up Tiger, if not purely for creative lack of change. I'd like to see something revolutionary with Leopard's Finder.

Excellent! My MSc Thesis was on this and I got rather passionate about it, and pretty dubious about the qualities of the desktop paradigm for UI. Even if things are awkward for a while I'd love to see something different. If anyone is going to be abel to do it, its Apple. Their users were loyal enough to go with the 68K to PPC, OS 9 to X and IBM to Intel shifts, they'd have the best chance of getting away with a drastic UI shift.

I'll just ask the stupid question then:
Finder Tabs means Cocoa Finder means radical all-round Finder improvement?

Apropos filename search in Spotlight: put quotation marks around your query.

The quotation marks don't work if a file's named project_alpha_20060525 and you search for "alpha", because Spotlight then doesn't see it. I simply use EasyFind.app ... (nicer than NotLight in my opinion). It's not that I don't find ways around problems, it's that I think Apple went wrong here. ;)

Tabs in Finder does not mean it's going to be Cocoa at all. You can change the interface without touching the code. I _fear_ they'll spruce up the Finder with features without actually finally replacing it with something better.

Tabbed Finder does seem to be the next logic approach. I plan to wait for WDC and see the official announcement and demonstrates from Jobs first.
Personally, I like Apple to have a tabbed Dock.

where is that faked image? i wanna see. also, spotlight is close but very flawed, as fryke said.

searching for p will bring up results, ph, then pho, then phot will all get reasonable results, but if you were to drop the first letter, or generally search for terms within a word (construction, to find deconstruction, for example), then it falters and fails, like very early simple web search engines. the whole menu and real-time as-you-type based approch to it is poor, as the result you want darts about all over the place till it's finished searching... never mind eh?

Back