10 supported my digital camera, but 10.1 doesn't?

boi

official breaker of macs.
"You have inserted a disk which contains no volumes that mac OS X can read. to use the unreadable volumes, click Initialize..." is what happens when i plug it in. the thing used to come up with "which pictures do you want to copy?" and the such.
now i get that error- i've got a sony DSC-S50 cybershot. it's supposedly supported.
what gives?

=- boi.

did you try Initializing? maybe it needs to format your memory stick or whatever... my kodak dc265 still works with image capture..

maybe you could find and copy the drivers out of a 10.0.4 install, should email apple on their feedback page..

yah, someone on the apple forums said they moved the imagecapture application from 10.0.x over to 10.1 and the imagecapture in 10.1 worked alluvasudden. now i've gotta find imagecapture from 10.0.x =P.
thanks

=-boi.

uh, it works with a lot of cameras. the odd thing is that it stopped working with ones it used to.

Just as a datapoint. My Olympus E-10 still works under 10.1 Worked fine in 10.0.4 and just plugged it in yesterday to my 10.1 systems works fine there too.

My CANON IXUS (the one used in all the apple promo's) still isn't supported.

Bugger:mad:

Oh well, have to keep bugging canon with my emails.
Johno

Originally posted by boi
yah, someone on the apple forums said they moved the imagecapture application from 10.0.x over to 10.1 and the imagecapture in 10.1 worked alluvasudden. now i've gotta find imagecapture from 10.0.x =P.
thanks

=-boi.

That someone was me. The old version of Image Capture is on your 10.0.x install CD in the file called "Essentials.pkg."

To answer my own question, I put down US$17 on the USB cable necessary for the Coolpix, plugged it in, and bam!, I was up and running in a matter of minutes.

The Image app is pretty cool! Bare bones, but exactly what you need to browse, manage, and download images from the camera.

Nice touches include the pre-formatting of print size pictures as well the automatic opening of the selected download folder in the Finder as soon as the download is complete.

Yet another great example of an application done right!

Cheers.

Originally posted by legacyb4
So no Nikon-related software is necessary? Just the cable?

Cheers.

1. In the /System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/Type4Camera.app/Contents folder, there is a file called info.plist which contains all the USB IDs for the devices supported by this driver. Enabling support for the IXUS V is simply a matter of adding a new entry for the IXUS's ID, which can be found using the Apple System Profiler.

2. Open this plist file with Property List Editor (included on Apple's Developer Tools CD) or a text editor. You will likely need to use a utility such as Pseudo to open it with root access.

3. Scroll down to the bottom of the <dict> section. Add another <dict> entry with the following data (or whatever data you found in Apple System Profiler): product:0x3052 and vendor:0x04A9.

4. Save the file.

5. Log out and back in. Plug in your camera, put it in View mode and turn it on. Image Capture will open and you can download your images!

works for my ixus / good luck!

Back