100 Foot Cable from Router to Desktop ... ???

vja4Him

Registered
My son is having serious problems with his computer when he is gaming. His latency is so high that he can't play his games much of the time.

He is connected wireless to our D-Links 524.

I was wondering if we could use a 100 foot cable to hard-wire his computer to the router? Would that be too long of a cable ... ???

100 feet is fine in a single cable. The limit is 250 feet before you need to add a powered device to boost the signal to a more remote point.

The theoretical CAT5 limit is around 330ft., so you will be OK with a 100' run. You need to have quality termination on the longer lengths and keep the kinks to a minimum. Store termination does not always mean better, I have made cables myself and had less loss than one that comes out of a package.
web conferencing | web conferencing software

The theoretical CAT5 limit is around 330ft., so you will be OK with a 100' run. You need to have quality termination on the longer lengths and keep the kinks to a minimum. Store termination does not always mean better, I have made cables myself and had less loss than one that comes out of a package.
web conferencing | web conferencing software

What exactly do you mean by termination? I remember the old SCSI termination devices. Are you talking about something like that?

Buy it from a reputable place and it should be fine. I think by "termination" Tayla Green means the plugs on the end.

Back