1000 Songs in your Pocket (Yeah Right!)

G4Mystic400

Registered
First off, I love my iPod. I use it so much it's crazy. But I have some beefs.

I put my iPod in my jacket pocket for a couple of hours. It gets a little warm and iPod screen has to FUBAR. Now I don't know much about liquid crystal, but if I get the light on it right right, it looks like my display is damaged.

So as a general rule of thumb, don't put it in your pocket for too long!

Another thing, which I'm sure has probably been covered here before (but come on, it really should be addressed again anyway!) is my battery. My four bar battery indicator should get fixed. Once I get to two bars for a minute I shutdown with a low battery indicator. This happens EVERY time. And quite often too, i've got to listen to my MP3s when I'm walking to class and studying in the library (which lasts too long as well, but thats another story). But does it really have ten hours of play? No, it's closer to six or seven. But don't quote me on this!

It does suck that it scratches so easily. I finally found the perfect case that I want, but it won't be available until next week. It kind of hurts to scratch a $400 device made by my beloved apple. I almost cried when I found my G4 tower had been scratched in the move down here :-(

-Jim

Are you playing songs that are extended in length (8-15 min+)? Any single title that is long enough will cause the HD in the iPod to spin longer, exhausting its battery quicker. I would suggest getting an auto charger, so you can keep it charged in transit (or remember to charge the unit overnight every night).

You can try clear plastic screen protectors help prevent/hide scratches. They are the kind that Palm PDA's use... I've got 4 sides of my iPod covered with them. I also bought some transparent vinyl sheets to make a sleeve cover for it. You can find those at your local hobby shop. Mine is going to have aluminum rivets joining the corners :D . I was going to use leather but it's too expensive (unless I may have had some extra laying around).

Excellent point on the extra disk spinning! That hadn't even occured to me. The same goes for the WriteRight type adhesives.

Thanks for the reply!

I did find a new thing today that others might find happy with synch problems. I've noticed this happen a few times before, but in a really weird way today. When I plugged the iPod into the computer, iTunes launched and brought up the little iPod pane. BUT, it didn't synch it at all. It just sat there charging, but saw the device. Normally when I restart and try it again, it just works. But this time it didn't. But after clicking on the iPod button on the bottom of the screen next to the visual and equalizer, i checked the "update checked items only" and it did an immediate transfer.

So just in case you don't feel like starting over (a whole 10 minutes of your life gone thanks to FireWire!) that might work.

-Jim

Back