12 inch iBook G4 (1.33 Ghz) track pad death?

TheBattman

I'd rather be fishin'
In pretty much any application, if trying to use the track pad, it will just quit responding. The edges of the trackpad usually continues to function, but the vast majority of the pad becomes either completely unresponsive, or barely - (like it is stuck in something).

Further, if a window is open that has scroll bars, if I move the cursor into the window, it will then scroll vertically and horizontally instead of actually moving the cursor (much like using two finger gestures).

I created a new user to make sure it wasn't something wrong with my main account... same behavior.

What is really confusing, the behavior is unpredictable. While using the computer for any length of time will for certain get this trackpad/cursor response, it may do it nearly all the time, or may not do it for a few minutes at a stretch... As I said, it is unpredictable.

What can anyone think to try before I get an estimate on replacing the trackpad?

Oh - and if I turn off gestures in the system prefs, then the cursor just becomes almost completely unresponsive - but it at least stops the nearly uncontrollable scrolling.

Anyone have an idea what the trackpad is going to cost to install? Is it a doable repair for someone with at least a bit of skill? A new machine, while highly desirable, is not in our budget in any way at this point. No way, no how.

I have come to the conclusion that the track pad is just worn out. It gets worse as the iBook heats up from use and/or charging. It works fine with a mouse connected (not the trackpad).

Anyway - I am buying a replacement upper case (the track pad and upper case are a one-piece unit). ifixit.com has the step-by-step instruction to do the swap.

Back