12" P'Book SuperDrive or Combo?

Alex x

Custom User
I'm about to buy a 12" powerbook, but do I go for a Combo driver, which is fast or a x1 speed DVD-R? Anyone got any advice? or if you have a 12" PBook with superdrive how are you getting on with it??

Well, do you need DVD burning capabilities? If not, you might be better off with the Combo drive. If you think you'll ever need to burn a DVD, then get the Superdrive.

Yes, I'll have a Combo with a supersized drive... sorry, don't know where that came from. ;) :D

I bought the one with the SuperDrive. It is the only way short of updating with an OWC superdrive to burn a dvd from iDVD on a powerbook 12.

I say go for it.

Unless you don't plan to burn any dvds, then opt for a combo and use the extra $$ for more ram.

I want to buy one too... but not now... if you can wait a little...

The next one should be really nice!!! :)

I'm with iscaro on this one, the PB series is likely to be updated in the middle of September, I'll wait for that...

If there's no possibilities of you ever burning a DVD from this computer, why bother spending the extra $$$? However, if there's even the slightest chance that you'll want the extra burning space and compatibility with DVD players (both hardware and software versions), then you should get the Superdrive now instead of having to upgrade later. Believe me, upgrading the optical drive in your Powerbook will be no walk in the park.

But if you're just going to play DVDs, it's not really worth the extra cost. And I thought the updated PB announcement was expected sooner than mid-September. No?

If you are going to buy the SuperDrive model consider SERIOUSLY more than 256 MB of RAM for serious DVD burning... With the Combo drive 256 MB are somewhat ok :D

Back