12" Powerbooks drop $200

If only the 12" had Airport Extreme, and/or a PCMCIA card slot and FW800 (well, I could live without FW800 I guess)... <sigh>

I'm getting ready to buy a Laptop, and the lack of either is really messing me up! :(

Same goes for the 15" (when/will they update that???) - and I do NOT want to spend the money for the 17"! :(

Erhm... The 12" _does_ have Airport Extreme, for your interest. Only, you have to add the card yourself to the price.

I guess Apple is just prepping us up for the new 15" Powerbooks. If there is going to be one...

Originally posted by fryke
Erhm... The 12" _does_ have Airport Extreme, for your interest. Only, you have to add the card yourself to the price.

Woah, really??? I musta missed that! I thought it wasn't Airport Extreme capable when I read it didn't have Airport Extreme! If I can add it - well, that changes everything!

I'll look at it again, thanks!

So, then... maybe I'll be getting it within 60 days? :)

Originally posted by Sogni
Woah, really??? I musta missed that! I thought it wasn't Airport Extreme capable when I read it didn't have Airport Extreme! If I can add it - well, that changes everything!

I'll look at it again, thanks!

So, then... maybe I'll be getting it within 60 days? :)

why does everyone think AE is the end all, be all compared to plain Airport.

NEWS FLASH, THEY ARE BOTH EXTREMELY SLOW FOR TRANSFERING LARGE FILES.

AE's 54Mbps translates to 5-10Mbps real world performance IF LUCKY. It is no where near ethernet.

but seriously, how long does it take you to transfer these "large" files? From my experience, its not really that big of a deal. only rarely do you really care if that cd image gets there in 2 seconds versus 20.

Originally posted by cf25
but seriously, how long does it take you to transfer these "large" files? From my experience, its not really that big of a deal. only rarely do you really care if that cd image gets there in 2 seconds versus 20.

these "large files" (GB) can take hours with AE as compared to several minutes with ethernet.

so yeah, I REALLY DO CARE if it gets there in several minutes compared to SEVERAL HOURS.

Grar... maybe he doesn't need to transfer files that large very often.

As far as the 15"ers go... it's been close to 6 months since their release, right? That means we'll probably see something at WWDC or MWNY (or is it Boston?).

Originally posted by kendall
these "large files" (GB) can take hours with AE as compared to several minutes with ethernet.

so yeah, I REALLY DO CARE if it gets there in several minutes compared to SEVERAL HOURS.

Noooo.... don't tell me that! :(

I'll have access to 802.11g both at home and at the office sooner or later, so I don't want to use an ethernet cable if I don't have to, and transporting the laptop back and forth it'll be a pain.

So what other options do I have while NOT being hard-wired?

Originally posted by arden
Grar... maybe he doesn't need to transfer files that large very often.

Um, yeah I do! 50MB MINIMUM and as big as a couple hundred MBs (kinda rarely that big tho)! :p

As far as the 15"ers go... it's been close to 6 months since their release, right? That means we'll probably see something at WWDC or MWNY (or is it Boston?).

When will WWDC and MWNY be? Since I'm not getting it RIGHT NOW, I can probably wait for an update (if it's not MONTHS ahead).

Originally posted by kendall

Man.. i haven't been on this forum that long (and i'm not trying to start a flame war), but would it hurt you to be a little less of a complete ***? every person in the world has different requirements, and each technology is good for some/not good for others. So don't knock AE just cause it's not as fast as ethernet. news flash numnut, airport is NOT wired, and therefore of course it will be slower. jesus christ, stop taking everyone down just because you don't like a certain tech for what YOU personally do.

By the way, i've transferred 600mb disk images between two 12" PB's (edit: using airport) , and it takes a little over 5 minutes. and 100mbit ethernet only has a realistic throughput of 10-20 mbits/s in real world. suddenly the figures arn't just so incredibly different, are they?

And for those who need to transfer large large files, clearly technology is a limiting factor your ability to do that quickly (wired or wireless), whereas you are not limited in getting your spankin' useless arse out and buying a $10 firewire cable (unless you have no legs, then you have to order over the 'net)

Originally posted by buggerit
Man.. i haven't been on this forum that long (and i'm not trying to start a flame war), but would it hurt you to be a little less of a complete ***? every person in the world has different requirements, and each technology is good for some/not good for others. So don't knock AE just cause it's not as fast as ethernet. news flash numnut, airport is NOT wired, and therefore of course it will be slower. jesus christ, stop taking everyone down just because you don't like a certain tech for what YOU personally do.

By the way, i've transferred 600mb disk images between two 12" PB's (edit: using airport) , and it takes a little over 5 minutes. and 100mbit ethernet only has a realistic throughput of 10-20 mbits/s in real world. suddenly the figures arn't just so incredibly different, are they?

And for those who need to transfer large large files, clearly technology is a limiting factor your ability to do that quickly (wired or wireless), whereas you are not limited in getting your spankin' useless arse out and buying a $10 firewire cable (unless you have no legs, then you have to order over the 'net)

try reading the entire thread before posting garbage. i didnt knock AE because its not as fast as ethernet. i knocked AE because its not that revolutionary over plain Airport.

[Edited by Fryke: Racism and profanity isn't appreciated here.]

as for transfering 600MB in 5min. i could do it in 10 sec with 100mb ethernet. in anycase, 600MB is diddlyshit. it would take 8 minutes with plain Airport so as you can see, AE is not that revolutionary.

[Edited for even more profanity by Fryke.]

Why are people arguing over nothing?! And to get back on topic, I noticed that Apple UK have dropped the price of the 12" Powerbook by a hundred squid.

12" PowerBook dropped $900 here in Australia, the 15" 1GHz dropped $1100, and the 17" dropped $700.

Amazing.

dont yell at me, but what kind of files are you transferring around that are over a gig? and i'm curious, but why do you have to transfer them?

i'm trying to wrap my mind around what type of work you would be doing that requires to to use files that big much less have to tranfer them frequently.

Originally posted by cf25
dont yell at me, but what kind of files are you transferring around that are over a gig? and i'm curious, but why do you have to transfer them?

i'm trying to wrap my mind around what type of work you would be doing that requires to to use files that big much less have to tranfer them frequently.

copying disk images of games, music files, laarge graphics, seriel number databases, email address databases, a 1GB jpg of my butt, etc.:D

Back