128 AAC vs 128 MP3

Originally posted by Dime5150
I think i might have found a drawback from AAC vs mp3.

I've ripped some cds to 128k AAC and I find that intermittent in songs it tends to kinda "get quiet" thats the best way I can describe it. Can anyone else hear it? Its noticeable when I have the speakers up loud. You can hear it kinda fade to the back. I'm not sure how to explain it.

mine has been doing this since I upgraded to iTunes4. It does it with MP3s that I've had for years......
The songs sound like they are fading up and down in volume while playing. its very annoying.
anyone else have this problem?

Originally posted by binaryDigit
No, 128kbs is the bit _rate_ and _not_ a measure of size.

The bit rate is absolutely a measure of size! In this case, it means your file will require 128K bits for each second of music. Since any particular song's length is constant, a 128Kbps encoding will be the same size regardless of the codec. For example, a song that is 300 seconds long will require 128K * 300 total bits. Again, this is regardless of the codec.

Chris

Originally posted by OmegaMan
I've never heard AAC myself, but is the extension still .mp3, or .aac?

Any good sites, I can d/l some free aac examples...and can play 'em through itunes?

Since Im in Canada, the itune store doesn't work yet, ofcourse...

aac files become .m4a.

Well all you have to do is throw in any cd and rip the track to AAC. If you can play AAC you can make them.

The fading out and back in again is really a part of the automatic volume control. Just turn it off, it's better. Guess that's quite a bug of iTunes 4, or at least a very, very annoying feature. It _was_ better in iTunes 3...

Any good sites, I can d/l some free aac examples...and can play 'em through itunes?

protected AAC files have .m4p extension.
ripped AAC files have .m4a extension :)

Originally posted by fryke
The fading out and back in again is really a part of the automatic volume control. Just turn it off, it's better. Guess that's quite a bug of iTunes 4, or at least a very, very annoying feature. It _was_ better in iTunes 3...

I too am noticing the same thing with some of my MP3s in iTunes 4, though I feel it has nothing to do with the "Sound Check" option at all. I've never, ever had that option checked in the preferences.

The volume seems to dip at specific points in a track... perhaps when it reaches a certain frequency, or something...?

It's a little annoying if you're listening closely, but I *suppose* it's something I could get used to :rolleyes:

Even if you can't get the iTunes music store yet, you can still rip some of your own CDs to AAC (aka .m4a for MPEG 4 Audio) and listen to them.

For info on AAC, try http://www.apple.com/mpeg4/aac/

Originally posted by toast
iTunes 4, Sennheiser HD 570.

AAC encoding messes with - blank parts in King Crimson, Brian Eno and KLF tunes. :angry:

I bought nine inch nail's "hurt" at the itunes store and the quite parts are seriously mess up... i think (or it could be intentional by the artist as well... I just started to listening to it). I'm guessing it's the AAC encoding... you can hear it at the 30 sec preview as well....

Originally posted by fryke

No i've never ever had that option on.

As far as the Nine Inch Nails song that fading is apart of the song. I have it on CD. That is how it is mixed actually.

Originally posted by Dime5150
aac files become .m4a.

Well all you have to do is throw in any cd and rip the track to AAC. If you can play AAC you can make them.

Thanks man.

I realized that, about 10secs after i clicked "submit reply"! :D

Another reason why I asked for a free AAC site, I thought that only the master copies (ie. from the studios) would sound better, than ripping from our own CDs.

*thinks* But since cd's are digital copies.....i guess that wouldn't be.

*thinks this time before clicking 'submit'*
::ha::

Thanks man.

I realized that, about 10secs after i clicked "submit reply"! :D

Another reason why I asked for a free AAC site, I thought that only the master copies (ie. from the studios) would sound better, than ripping from our own CDs.

*thinks* But since cd's are digital copies.....i guess that wouldn't be.

*thinks this time before clicking 'submit'*
::ha::

Yea the rips from cd's are better since no degradation comes from manufacture cd's from the studio etc.

I got my iPod today and they sure do sound nice on it.

Oh and I'm not hearing any drop in volume in any aac files on ipod. I think i found out what it is. The sound "enhancer" in iTunes is the culprit. Under effects menu. if you turn it off you can't hear the volume dip.

I think you're right. i just disabled mine because I figured it was using extra cpu and i haven't noticed the volum dipping since.

Hmm... Is there a patch that renames the 'Sound Enhancer' to 'Sound Wrangler' or sumthin'? ;-)

Back