128 MB Ram isn't enough for Jagz...

Originally posted by MacLuv
I haven't seen one PC system on the market that ships with 128MB of RAM memory?

I have... and it's not pretty...

Why ANY Manufacturer ships computers with less than 256Megs of ram (even this does not seem to be enough, 512 is the minimum any computer I have or built for others have) and no Antivirus (for PCs) is beyond me...

Altho I have yet to see a Mac (running OS X) self-destruck because of not having enough RAM, PC Manufactures should know better by now!

Ok... enough ranting... I should actually LIKE the fact that PC Manufacturers are that naive - they make me money! heh :)

shoot, jag with 256mb was still slow for me and Apple employees didn't even recommend or try to upsell me more ram, bleh@them. I got a 512mb module for my iBook for about $105 though :) Now system performance is _a lot_ better :)

/me jumps in the air and starts dancing

Originally posted by MacLuv

If anybody in the New Zealand area wants to buy a 128 SDRAM chip cheap, let me know.

:)

Heck, I can't give away a 32MB DIMM Chip (or is that a 16MB? I forget)! :D

It's scary that they made DIMMS that small!

MacLuv,

I've just upgraded by PowerBook G3 Pismo with another 512MB so am now running 768MB :D . I was experiencing sluggishness with only 384MB and noticed (when running top in Terminal) that I was having severe pageouts.

Now with 768MB, hardly any pageouts and a very slight improvemnt on the sluggishness problem. But boy, can I run some apps now! Heaps of them. And still have free ram should I find another app to play with.

I agree that Apple is being particularly stingey with the amount of ram that ships as a minimum. When I first bought my Pismo it came with 64MB so I had to immmediately upgrade it. I've upgraded twice now, and am pretty sure that my last purchase will be exactly that!

Apple does come out with deals where they double your ram etc. I understand that you have to send in a rebate form or other inconvenient schemes though. What they should be doing is just stocking all Macs with 384 or 512MBs of ram and ditch the stupid offers. My analogy is: it would be like Ford bringing out a V8 and governing the accelerator by 50%. Macs are the V8's of computers.

I too am wanting to find a new home for my spare 128MB and 64 MB SO-DIMMs. If you get a taker for yours, let me know if they want more - I'm 100% Kiwi too! Zeal

how much do you want for the 128 chip Zeal and MacLuv?

PM me your asking price!!!

its this line that shows whats going on with your RAM usage
PhysMem: 30.2M wired, 101M active, 52.6M inactive, 184M used, 8.38M free

at the moment i have near on 60Mb unused RAM running explorer and iCal, iTunes, limewire, stickies and terminal. Mind you this takes a serious hit when i load photoshop and indesign. There is Ram going fairly cheap though, i saw
256mb PC133 SDRAM going for NZ$77 new

it was probably al-cheapo brand but it was from a shop on k rd, it was an advertisment in the trade and exchange

I'm also a Jaguar user with 128 Megs of RAM. I'm not experiencing maajor sluggishness. Or maybe I'm just used to it since I've used OSX for a long time now…_;)

True there should be more RAM in those damn computers, true. I wouldn't be opposed to a bit more MHz either. Well, bit more speed in general, 'cause I'm still more productive on OS9 (it's an old debate here, but I haven't changed position: OS9 is still real more fast, and my DTP work is done faster on OS9).

I don't really agree with the x86 part of your post, it's more complicated than just a processor to me.

Also, my OS9 is VERY stable. I'm sending my computer back to Apple this week because Jaguar killed my burner with a system crash that destroyed drivers, not because of OS9. I've learnt to use my Mac, I know OS9 by heart, OSX is just a bit more elegant. I'm bored with this debate, but I'm still an OS9 person as far as working on the Mac is concerned.

But of course, if my activity in front of the computer concentrated on browsing, listening music and tweaking Carracho, yes, I'd be an OSX guy :).

Back