128bit Wireless - PowerMac 15"

Xafloc

Registered
Hey all,

I purchased a PowerBook about one year ago, and love it. However, I am trying to determine if I have an airport card which supports 128bit wireless capabilities.

I can't see anything in the configuration that leads me to believe it does, but want to make sure. Also...is it upgradable to support 128bit?

Thanks,

Darren

Okay, here's the deal:
All Airport cards support 128 bit encryption, since they are all the same inside (except for the new Airport Extreme cards, these are different.) However some of the older ones need to have the Airport Software updated before you can use the stronger encryption. This can be done fairly easily though.
The Base Stations, on the other hand, are a completely different beast. If you have the original Graphite colored base station, then you don't have 128 bit encryption, and unless you want to 'crack and hack', you cannot get it. The White colored base station does though, so if you have one of these, you are good to go.
If you would like to try the hacking of the original base station, instructions can be found here:
http://www.msrl.com/airport-gold/

Thanks for the reply! That is good news.

I'm not sure the base station, I have an SMC Wireless router I am trying to connect to...

I'll start digging for the software update, but if you have it handy, I'd appreciate the post.

Thanks!

Xafloc

I found an update version 2.0.2, but when I try to install it, it says I do not need it, and my only option is to quit.

Perhaps I just don't understand then...Is there something special I need to do with my airport card to hook up to an 128 bit network? I need to be able to specificy an alphanumeric key (for key2), and specify to use key2.

Any thoughts?

You don't need the update unless you're using Apple's Base Station, which you aren't. You're good to go with the SMC Wireless.

It's doubtful you have an Airport card if you bought the machine a year agao, unless you ordered it with the card. Look in the Apple System Profiler under the System Profile tab in the Network section. If you have an Airport card installed, it will show there.

Back