15 inch Powerbook durability...?

ekramer

Registered
How does the titanium compare to the new aluminum?

I was thinking about also putting in an order for a 15" powerbook, but if apple has switched it must be for a reason...

will it not hold up as well?

well, apple didnt switch for almost 2 years. part of the TiBooks problem is that the titanium surface was painted along with the carbon composite surface.

being a portable, its bound to get knocked around and the TiBooks tended to get unsightly scratches and chips because of this.

another thing about titanium is that it flexes giving the TiBook a flimsy feeling. aluminum is more ridged and flexes less so the new PBooks should feel solid.
this is based on what i know about titanium and aluminum bike frames. aluminum frames beat you up while titanium absorb a lot of shock and vibration. also, if you feel the 12" pBook, it has a lot less flex than the 15" Pbook or 12" iBook.

The anodized surface should be more difficult to scratch. people also had hing problems which have been addressed with the aluminum PBooks. if you want a 15" and can wait a few months, i would. it shouldnt be that long until updated ones are introduced. i know a lot of resellers that are getting rid of the 15" now for around $500 less than apple advertises them. could be sign of things to come.

Originally posted by kendall
i know a lot of resellers that are getting rid of the 15" now for around $500 less than apple advertises them. could be sign of things to come.

Which resellers??? I'm in the market for a pbook, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

I think it was MacAddict that reported that the newest Titanium Powerbooks are purported to be MORE resistant to scratching, and they even tested it.

Originally posted by dktrickey
I think it was MacAddict that reported that the newest Titanium Powerbooks are purported to be MORE resistant to scratching, and they even tested it.

MORE resistant to scratching than older TiBooks or to the new aluminum PBooks?

i know apple was trying its hardest to fix the paint issue many were having. i believe they might have to. my original 550s paint was messed up out of the box and was replaced with a 667 DVI which i had for 6 months with absolutely no problems.

I think Apple indeed fixed the paint flaking problem. I've had my TiBook for 8 months now, and the paint is still fine. I do have one scratch - and that's because I banged it on accident! I am generally pretty rough with my laptop - being a student and all. I often carry it in my backpack and I've had no problems with flexing and paint flaking.

I'm impressed! But I think a new aluminum body would indeed make it even more sturdy.

i kind of like looks of the TiBook more than the new AlBooks.

its more elegant to me. the AlBooks are more industrial looking.

Back