15" LCD = 17" CRT size? WHY?

Chibi15

Official ai tenshi
Apple says that a 15" LCD (iMac) has the same viewing area as an 17" CRT - how can this be? I thought an inch measures size... huh

Does that mean that the iMac Display is actually bigger than my old 15" CRT??

A CRT can't display to the extreme edges of the screen, an LCD can. I however don't believe that 17"=15", that discrepancy is a little too large.

because CRT display has "viewable" zone. 17" = approx. 15,8" viewable only. LCD displays 15" = 15" pure.

OK. In a CRT monitor, the glass is what is measured. But, when this glass is put into the monitor, the plastic covers around an inch on both corners they measure from. This leaves only around 15inches of the glass that cacn actually be seen.

However, in an LCD screen, the screen is totally viewable, because it doesn't have to be put behind any plastic (apart form the polarizing filter ;)) and so the 15in measurement IS 15 inches. Most 17 inch CRTs are about half an inch bigger than a 15 inch LCD.

My 17" measures 16 inches (white window stretched to all corners to make sure I'm measuring correctly)...

Could it be that the 17" that measures 15" viwable has not been stretched to it's maximum size in the Display's control panel?

:confused:

If you directly compare a 17" screen running 1024x768 (heaven forbid!) and the LCD iMac, the iMac's screen will appear more detailed. More pixels, less space. However, since they would be using the same res, it makes no real difference. The main difference is, on a 17" CRT, although you have the same viewable, you'd have a higher resolution, so it does look better. But I'm happy with my iMac's screen (my dad has the old Apple Studio 17 CRT, which is a great screen, but I hate how big it is...)

Back