15" lcd is not same as 17" crt so stop

buggs1a

Registered
people say 15" lcd is same view size as 17" crt. i wish everyone would stop. it is not the same size. 15" is smaller, alot. 17" crt is 16" view or 15.9" view. that really is a lot bigger then a 15" apple lcd. i have tried looking at 2 side by side and the crt was in fact bigger and noticibly too.

personally this lcd imac is great, but to small screen for me. also it is the exact same lcd as their 15" lcd. still has bad pixel problems and looks blurry and has problems with fast moving objects like movies and games. so untill these 2 things are fixed i think lcd is not for me at all. when you get a bad pixel you see it and can even touch it and they are huge in my opinion. to me not acceptable at all.

i got the apple 17" lcd and first day it had a bad pixel so i sent it back for full refund. what a joke. it looked nice, but the pixel thing is just to much. and playing games or movies you have lcd screen issues and this won't be fixed till they move to the higher density ones next year in 2003 or later. so it's sad.

if the imac had a 17" lcd without those 2 issues i might consider one if it was a dual, lol. i will only buy dual.

Um, heh. You're demanding a dual processor iMac with a 17" LCD monitor. Get real. :D It'll never happen, until like 2005 when Apple totally revamps the iMac again. (Hmm, maybe a pyramid?)

Although I do agree that a 17" CRT is bigger than a 15" LCD. But the benefits of LCD are that it's twice as sharp and twice as bright, and it's easier on your eyes, not to mention it's more environmentally friendly since it uses up much less power. And of course it's so much smaller. Imagine having a 17" CRT on the end of that swivel thing. Hahaha that would be funny.

*** simX imagines a topheavy iMac pokey video.

Yea... it's like having a crane to hold up the crt instead..:D

I have to agree on this too. I have two 17" CRT monitors one my my beautiful G4 and another for my Frankenstein PeeCee. Both have about 16.1" viewable.

I haven't measured a lcd, but from what I have seen and heard, it's safe to say that 15" lcd has a 15" viewable.

So I guess it all comes down to wether you think 1" makes a difference to you. To some people it will to others it won't.

The other issue too is equally important in this. I have seen some cheap lcds where the movements of dvd playback where so bad that I almost wanted to hurl. The apple cinema display I saw back at Seybold last year hardly displayed that fuzzy movement. So for this issue, do your homework and ensure that the lcd you get is the best quality you can get for that model.. of course you don't have much choice when it is already installed on the computer.

If you are graphic intensive, you may want to stick with CRT.

But I do have to say the new iMac is awsome and I would not mind having one at all. No one can match Apple's innovation.

With that said, I will try not to run out of Macworld with one under my coat..:rolleyes: ;) :D

A 15 inch LCD has an optimal resolution of 1024x768, the same as a 17 inch CRT. Any higher than 1024x768 on a 17 inch CRT and everything is too small or, on most 17 inch CRT's, the refresh rate is so low it is unusable. So you get the same resolution on a 15 inch LCD as a 17 inch CRT. All LCD's I've seen come out of Apple have absolutely no problems with games or DVD's.

I can't stand it to hear this shit about problems with rapid movements on a LCD! Man, these problems are fixed since years on digital screens! Take a look at a modern, state-of-the-art digital LCD! The time when you saw the "mouse shadow" when you moved it fast and stuff like this are over. Definitely over!

but... 1024x768... so chunky of a resolution. just one step higher would convince me to invest in one. LCD or not... I'm still not impressed with having a Geforce2MX and being locked at that resolution, or lower.

besides, LCDs ARE susceptible to "dead pixels". That's a concern of mine as well. The shadows/blur issues... most of those are now things of the past. Although, LCDs are notoriously not as sharp, dpi-wise, as CRT.

problem is... they are priced TOO competitively against the PowerMacs - any news on those prices dropping?

Sorry Ulrik.. you will continue to hear this gripe as long as vendors make cheap quality lcd screens.

Apple however does tend to be on the high-end when it comes to their lcd screens.

You stop by circuit city and buy one of their cheapest 15" lcd screens and tell me the fuzziness is gone. If I gave up on CRT and wanted to go flat panel, Apple's lcd would be the first one I get...

Well, this cheap LCD would of course be analog! The analog LCDs still suffer under this problem, at least some of them, since the decoding of the analog signal make the problem. It seems like the signal is not "clean" enough and that's why fast movements tend to appear "blurry" and you see those shadows. But I have never seen these with digital LCDs, then again, you don't get cheap digital LCDS anyway ;)

Anyway, my Cinema Display and my 17'' Studio Display are "quite ok" ;)

Seriously, I had mentioned problems on an old PC notebook. It was also impossible to view it from the side, but the Samsung LCDs (aka Apple LCDs) are gorgeous!

Back