15" powerbook vs. macbook

Not sure if anyone saw it yet, but on the battery life issue it seems the MacBook will equal the current PowerBook line. The Duo chips being used evidentially have a slightly higher draw than the current G4 model does, not to mention the brighter more hungry screen*, so the small gain in battery capacity probably won't equal out to any real time gains.

* Why you'd need a brighter screen than the new PBs is a bit of a mystery to me...it's already pretty darn bright.

You need a brighter screen

a) in the office, depending on lighting conditions
b) outside. Ever used a notebook with a colour screen outside in summer? You'll need every brightness you can get. Or a transreflective screen (only used for PDAs and mobile phones so far, because colours look washed out compared to a real TFT) or even better: a greyscale TFT, where you don't need a backlight at all in the sun, because the sun effectively lights the display.

But: You can, of course, dim it down on the MacBook Pro to save energy. I rather have enough brightness and use it at 50-70% than having to use it at 100% most of the times like I do with my PowerBook G4.

fryke said:
Ever used a notebook with a colour screen outside in summer? You'll need every brightness you can get. .......... I rather have enough brightness and use it at 50-70% than having to use it at 100% most of the times like I do with my PowerBook G4.

I live in Louisiana now and use mine outdoors all the time...so yup, definitely know all about the sun issue...only around here it's more like all year round, not just summer only (why I moved :D).

I agree on that part...except that they already made the screen brighter on the HD model PowerBooks. It kind of makes you wonder if they're actually referring to the older model PowerBooks on the brightness comparison for the MacBook, since it does say "67% brighter than its predecessors". Maybe it's just a slight upgrade over the HD model, or just creative marketing to those more likely to buy a MacBook Pro (those with 2-4 year old PowerBooks). But yea...I'd rather have it and dim it, than not have it and need it.

Back